Review of Apple Carplay in a Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
I was looking forward to using Carplay in my SLC so I hope this review helps anyone considering it.
It’s easy to activate and from there on it can be started as soon as you plug in the phone to the usb port - or you can set it to be manually started.
The screen then shows any carplay enabled icons, the three most recently used apps and a virtual home button.
Siri works as per normal - not forgetting that it woks in ‘eyes free’ mode without carplay.
The default nav is Apple maps. It is good, but not as good as the others and the colour scheme is far from inspiring.
Google maps is great. Visually stunning in satellite mode, but a little eager to show traffic delays. That being said it’s a great app and does a great job.
Waze has the typical Waze interface. It’s visually quite good and has great crowd sourced info so you are rarely surprised - even down to advanced warning of potholes. It gave me good advance warning on an accident yesterday in a place I wouldn’t wxpect one. For actual navigation it’s probably my favourite of the three.
But the clear winner has to be the inbuilt Mercedes nav. Clear, accurate, visually good and extra info including lane guidance to the small central screen between the clocks.
The phone app is good and visually very good, but to be honest, I’ve used eyes free for a while and never had a problem with it.
Messages looks works well but I can already get them read out with Siri.
The killer app for me is Tidal streaming - free for a year with Mercedes Me and works really well in Carplay. I guess Spotify is just as good.
I’ve not tried TuneIn yet but I expect it to work well.
One real disappointment is that when you press the mercedes icon, it only does a partial exit - you get radio (and settings) but selecting any of the functions brings carplay back in, when I would prefer a full exit or be able to reselect it from the phone menu.
So my verdict is that it is good, but really not THAT good - certainly in it’s current form, but if you prefer Google or Waze over the inbuilt nav - or don’t have inbuilt nav it could prove useful.
Would I spec it on a new car? Only if I had enough dosh to cover all the other options I wanted, otherwise it would be low on my list.

I was looking forward to using Carplay in my SLC so I hope this review helps anyone considering it.
It’s easy to activate and from there on it can be started as soon as you plug in the phone to the usb port - or you can set it to be manually started.
The screen then shows any carplay enabled icons, the three most recently used apps and a virtual home button.
Siri works as per normal - not forgetting that it woks in ‘eyes free’ mode without carplay.
The default nav is Apple maps. It is good, but not as good as the others and the colour scheme is far from inspiring.
Google maps is great. Visually stunning in satellite mode, but a little eager to show traffic delays. That being said it’s a great app and does a great job.
Waze has the typical Waze interface. It’s visually quite good and has great crowd sourced info so you are rarely surprised - even down to advanced warning of potholes. It gave me good advance warning on an accident yesterday in a place I wouldn’t wxpect one. For actual navigation it’s probably my favourite of the three.
But the clear winner has to be the inbuilt Mercedes nav. Clear, accurate, visually good and extra info including lane guidance to the small central screen between the clocks.
The phone app is good and visually very good, but to be honest, I’ve used eyes free for a while and never had a problem with it.
Messages looks works well but I can already get them read out with Siri.
The killer app for me is Tidal streaming - free for a year with Mercedes Me and works really well in Carplay. I guess Spotify is just as good.
I’ve not tried TuneIn yet but I expect it to work well.
One real disappointment is that when you press the mercedes icon, it only does a partial exit - you get radio (and settings) but selecting any of the functions brings carplay back in, when I would prefer a full exit or be able to reselect it from the phone menu.
So my verdict is that it is good, but really not THAT good - certainly in it’s current form, but if you prefer Google or Waze over the inbuilt nav - or don’t have inbuilt nav it could prove useful.
Would I spec it on a new car? Only if I had enough dosh to cover all the other options I wanted, otherwise it would be low on my list.
How did you arrange the Tidal for free ?

I'm considering a CarPlay dongle for my 9" android head unit, just to see what it can do.
Thanks for this, although I'm sure the dongle functionality will not be less encompassing, than a native setup.

Carplay is controlled from the phone - the screen is effectively showing what the phone is passing to it so I would expect it to be as feature rich as running natively

Reactions: GLK
Errm, it was a typo in my last message (or rather, it was edited incompletely) - it should read "... will not be AS encompassing ..."

Would love to be wrong though ... Will know soon enough :)

Reactions: Ted
@Ted - Nice review - have to agree with you. I would not pay to have CarPlay! Have not checked my current car but in my SLK, I also got messages from my Comand system.

They have also updated the MM skill for Alexa. Didn't work well before and still does not work very well.

Just had a Pioneer Car Play fitted to the Brabus 451 Smart. Anna is very pleased with Waze + Google and DAB :)

No - audio 20 :thumb::thumb:
5*1 or 5*2 - can’t temember which.

Hi Ted
Just to confirm you have Apple carplay and Android auto? on an audio 20 (garmin) equipped SLC?

Hi Tomham - can’t confirm android auto but I can definitely confirm apple carplay on a garmin audio 20 system in a 2017 slc

https://photos.app.goo.gl/863hP922HjyGsEkLA

Requires smartphone integration package, but there are ways to add it if not originally specified...

Last edited:
That's very interesting Ted.
I have a 2017 SLC (Build date June) Registered Dec 67 Plate. Garmin Audio 20.
Mercedes have told me I don't have and can't have Carplay/Android Auto without Comand.
I know it can be activated by a third party plug in the OBD but for obvious reasons this is last resort.

I have also had the car into my local dealer for 2 days while they tried to sort why my live traffic doesn't work.
They basically haven't a clue.
On a recent trip to Belgium it worked fine but in the UK nothing.

Any help gratefully received as it is doing my head in.

Hi Tomham - mine also has option 367 - live traffic capability which does not work with the navigation, but as I bought the sd card from ebay, I’m not surprised it doesn’t work.
I’ve tried to add it but I get a message like ‘this is not compatible with original configuration’
Not a huge problem as I can use Waze in carplay if I really need traffic.
I can also confirm that the obd plug in activation of carplay does work, (it isn’t left plugged in) but of course it does not get registered in the build spec, so a software update of the audio 20 could remove/disable it.
I understand those obd plugs can be used multiple times.

That's very interesting Ted.
I have a 2017 SLC (Build date June) Registered Dec 67 Plate. Garmin Audio 20.
Mercedes have told me I don't have and can't have Carplay/Android Auto without Comand.
I know it can be activated by a third party plug in the OBD but for obvious reasons this is last resort.

I have also had the car into my local dealer for 2 days while they tried to sort why my live traffic doesn't work.
They basically haven't a clue.
On a recent trip to Belgium it worked fine but in the UK nothing.

Any help gratefully received as it is doing my head in.

I have a SLC300, 17 plate but built in 2016, it has Carplay, but not Android Auto with Audio 20, not COMAND.
I lost Live Traffic when I bought an updated SD card, but if I put the old SD card in Live Traffic returns, but the maps are then 2015 & not the latest.
I've been back to Mercedes twice to find out why, but as you say they really don't have a clue.

I also have 367 but my live traffic will not work in the UK. Ok in Belgium.
Maybe I have a non MB card but I doubt it as the car was only 9 months old when I bought it.
So it should work in the UK.

I would prefer to have Android auto as It is better than Garmin/TMC traffic. I had it working in my other car but that had Comand a different story.
So I guess an OBD is the way to go, I would like A/Auto.
Does it cause any other problems Ted?
I have seen the attached on various sites. Does it look familiar to any one?

Interesting Russ no A/Auto just Carplay?
Ted does yours have A/Auto as well?

Thanks Guys you may be lifesaving.CarPlay-OBD.jpg

Tomham, you have a PM.
I don’t think I have android auto, only carplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom