Revised 2011 C-Class versus original 2007 C-Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brakedust

Is there anyone who has bought the newly revised C-Class who previously owned the original version of the current series, released in 2007. I was interested to hear an owner's impression of the changes.

I think the engines are the same as the pre-facelift model, the only changes I can see with the facelift (2011 model) seem to be mainly cosmetic? (headlights, bonnet, dash board etc)

7G Plus to all models, stop start and the new gen BlueEfficiency engines are in the facelift model. There were the previous gen BE engines in the cars from '09-11 I think, the pre facelift V6 petrol and diesel engines had the 7G 'boxes as well, just the 4-cylinder models that had the 5G.

I've the new C saloon and my wife runs a very late pre-facelift C250 CDI estate. Our engines are different so I couldn't comment but the interior is a massive improvement in dashboard layout and connectivity if you use that kind of thing (which we do) on the newer car. Daily driving is very similar to be honest.
Edd

And 7g fitted where 5g was before. A major downgrade

Having today spent the first day with my new 7G Plus car, and having previously owned a 5g Merc the 7GP is a huge improvement! Very quick to kick down with no hesitation.

ironsheik said:
Just out of curiousity, why is it a downgrade?

Not as smooth, slower changing, makes the car slower. Check the 0 to 60 times of 7g c220cdis and 250cdi vs the 5g versions. The 5 g cars were faster. I've driven both 7g and 5g cars from e220cdi to cls55amgs and cls350cdi, c and e 320cdis and e500 coupe and I can tell you that 5g is vastly superior

Just because the 7 speed box may need to go into third for the 0-60 time doesn't make it slower in real life. 0-70 would be quicker where the 5g box has to use 3rd gear too.

I facelift car is much better

Not as smooth, slower changing, makes the car slower. Check the 0 to 60 times of 7g c220cdis and 250cdi vs the 5g versions. The 5 g cars were faster. I've driven both 7g and 5g cars from e220cdi to cls55amgs and cls350cdi, c and e 320cdis and e500 coupe and I can tell you that 5g is vastly superior

Both mine are 7g boxes, I think they are wonderful. I've only driven one MB with the 5g box, and that didn't impress me particularly, nice change, but not very sharp - rather old school.

Personal preferences and tastes, I guess:)

I've owned the following:-

"59" C180K Sport Estate Auto 5g
"11" C220cdi Sport Estate Auto 7g+

Facelift car dashboard layout is a massive improvement as are the instrument clusters.

I can't comment on performance as the C220 is simply more powerful than the C180K with a lot more torque so it's not a straight comparison.

I've also owned an ML300cdi Auto in between these with the 7g box.

The 7g+ box is a massive improvement over either of the previous boxes, the changes are seamless (previous 7g hesitant and harsh).

I have driven the pre-facelift C350CDI Sport for more than a year now and it is a very good car - very fast in acceleration, very smooth through the seven gears (up and down), with no lag at any point in my experience. Personally, I have no problems with the interior and I like the "stowaway" navigation screen. If the facelift model is even better - and by general concensus it seems to be - then it must be very, very good!

RichardM said:
Just because the 7 speed box may need to go into third for the 0-60 time doesn't make it slower in real life. 0-70 would be quicker where the 5g box has to use 3rd gear too.

Wrong 7g would need 4th for 70 5g would do it in 3rd. The real world 50 to 75 range of acceleration can all be done in 3rd in a 5g car. A 7g car needs to up change. This makes fast b road driving not as progressive as it would be in a 5g car

Wrong 7g would need 4th for 70 5g would do it in 3rd. The real world 50 to 75 range of acceleration can all be done in 3rd in a 5g car. A 7g car needs to up change. This makes fast b road driving not as progressive as it would be in a 5g car

I take my hat off to you for your keen and enthusiastic driving to the limit, but most drivers, I suggest, never put their cars through their paces to that extent. The 7g, in my experience, remains a very smooth and very fast gearbox/car by any standards...

Mercy1 said:
I take my hat off to you for your keen and enthusiastic driving to the limit, but most drivers, I suggest, never put their cars through their paces to that extent. The 7g, in my experience, remains a very smooth and very fast gearbox/car by any standards...

Most mb drivers on here don't get to drive their cars on the wonderful roads that I get to taz around on. However going between 60 and 80 on a country road is hardly really pushing the car and the gear change at 69mph in my car is an unwelcome addition to it over my old 5g car that could span 50 to 80 in one gear. I dread to think how much faster and more pleasant your car and indeed my own car would be with the older box.

As said above..

Also:

1. MB said that the facelifted C-Class has the largest number of new parts from any facelift they have ever done, i.e. it is a major facelift, not just cosmetic.

2. The 2007 car was (rightly) criticised for having an uninspiring interior and dashboard, with massive cheap-looking plastic areas reminiscent of '80 Japanese cars. The facelifted model seems to have successfully put this argument to rest.

3. What usually happens with facelifts, is that you get a much better car as it is the software equivalent of v1.1 (or the Service Pack 1 equivalent..) where all the bugs have been ironed-out and lessons have been learnt after a good number of years of having the original model in service in great numbers. This was the case with the facelifted W203 which is a much better car than the earlier 1999-2003 cars, and also for the W211 E-Class. A proper 'facelift' allows the manufacturer to resolve issues that require extensive re-design and can not be simply dealt with by minor upgrades each MY.

4. Unfortunately, many manufacturers tend to mess up the purity of a perfect designs with facelifts... MGB, Countach, E-Type... but MB seem to be on top of things as their facelifts are usually very visually acceptable as is the case with the 2011 W204.

So it has my thumbs up....

Last edited:
Most mb drivers on here don't get to drive their cars on the wonderful roads that I get to taz around on. However going between 60 and 80 on a country road is hardly really pushing the car and the gear change at 69mph in my car is an unwelcome addition to it over my old 5g car that could span 50 to 80 in one gear. I dread to think how much faster and more pleasant your car and indeed my own car would be with the older box.

I've actually owned both pre facelift and post facelift C classes.

The facelift model, including the gearbox is superior in almost every respect.

It's clear you have a dislike of the more modern 7g+ gearboxes, maybe if you actually owned one and drove it long term you'd appreciate the benefits.

Red C220 said:
I've actually owned both pre facelift and post facelift C classes.

The facelift model, including the gearbox is superior in almost every respect.

It's clear you have a dislike of the more modern 7g+ gearboxes, maybe if you actually owned one and drove it long term you'd appreciate the benefits.

You can't polish turds...I've done 35k miles at the wheel of a 7g car and driven 3 other 7g cars. All later editions of my car. All hopeless compared to 5g cars of which I've done over 40k miles in one I owned not to mention a good weekend in a CLS55Amg as well as drives in an S500 5g as well as a c270cdi as well as the I6 e320cdi. I'm therefore probably more versed than you in voicing an opinion in the pros and cons of each transmission. I am aware there is a revised 7g plus but its hardly all new. It features a different ATF and IIRC a slightly taller 7th gear which to be fair was not the older 7gs shortcoming as it gave excellent fuel returns at high speed motorway type driving. I'll be driving a 7g plus car at some stage but I don't expect to be impressed

You can't polish turds...I've done 35k miles at the wheel of a 7g car and driven 3 other 7g cars. All later editions of my car. All hopeless compared to 5g cars of which I've done over 40k miles in one I owned not to mention a good weekend in a CLS55Amg as well as drives in an S500 5g as well as a c270cdi as well as the I6 e320cdi. I'm therefore probably more versed than you in voicing an opinion in the pros and cons of each transmission.

If you loath it so much, why put up with it, why don't you sell the car and buy one with a 5 speed?

I've driven and owned four cars with the 5sp box; a W211 E270 CDi, two W211 E320 CDi's and one S320 and I now own the V6 CDi with the 7G box and I can categorically say that the 7 speed box is leagues ahead for smooth, seamless gear changes.

Even when driven 'under load' it's a better box, so I really can't see how you can try and slate it so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom