revised job/revised salary/many questions make Rob a confused boy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
With reference to an old thread I posted on here, there have been substantial changes concerning my employment.

After my re-grading as mentioned, I subsequently changed roles again, through a departmental restructure – this alongside voluntary & compulsory redundancies elsewhere throughout the organisation, which I have survived. I was slotted in to a differing role to be in addition to my previous role. My post was therefore due another revised re-grading.

I commenced part of my new role in April/May of this year due to there being no-one else to make section decisions mainly, and was expected to be active in my new undefined role. I moved offices in the latter part of May, where I was based with my new team and continued to manage my old team who are now based elsewhere within the new building we are located in. Leaning on my manager to have my JD revised, this was only recently finished and the re-grade came out as 1 grade higher (about £2.5k difference p.a.), as expected due to increased Knowledge requirements mainly. So, that’s the good news – even though I am yet to receive a formal letter of confirmation. I have no doubt this letter will be forthcoming, so no problem there.

Leaving aside my lack of formal training in the unknown areas of my new position (despite my requests) I have stated I would like my new grade back-dated. The organisation have declined and said it would be effective from 1 July, which I think is unreasonable. I don’t particularly think I could be successful in having a claim back to 1 April but the restructured organisational department chart was released in the last week of May.

Is there a legal position? And what is considered reasonable? I’m happy to be honest to have received an honest re-grading but I’m not sure if I should be making a fuss over the ‘effective from’ date.

From the brief description and me not knowing a great deal about your role, I guess it depends on how much difference this would make.

In times like these, it might be wise to not stand out too much by creating a fuss over minor issues. Especially with the changes/redundancies going on - and the doubtless shortages of funds.

If you feel it is important and it's a fair chunk of cash, go for it. If not, I'd just keep my head down and be pleased that I had been selected to remain in employment, even more so that I'd been given a 'promotion' ;)

You don't want to stand out at work for the wrong reasons IMHO.

Will

Hi

Totally agree with what Will said.

Be thankful, your griping over 3 months difference in wage which amounts to £600 less deductions???????? But.......... you still have a job?

Just my opinion

I know the money isn't a huge amount, but that's irrelevant in my mind. I can't just make the issue (if there is one) disappear 'cos it's only a couple of nights' beer money.

If there is no legality over whether there should be a correct right n proper recognised 'effective from' date then no matter :) *

* and I'm not griping :D

IMO - If you are happy with the position you are in, and taking everything around you into consideration, I personally would not bother taking legal routes and such options - last you want to do is jeopardise your situation.

The way I see it, you haven't lost anything you had before, yes it would be nice to have it backdated but is it the end of the world if you don't? Be happy and enjoy what you have , rather than cringing and feeling bad about what could have been. There are many people in much worse positions...

Considering your organisation has already suffered redundancies I would be inclined to accept the upgrade payment from July 1st. Would requesting they backdate the increase to 1st April count against you if future staff cutbacks are forthcoming?

I do think it's reasonable to be paid from the date the evaluation result was known based on the prinicple that if it was downgraded, they don't take back what they previously paid you.

That is different to being overpaid as it were.

I think the only honest argument would have been if the role was evaluated a long time ago, which is wasn't, or if it was undervalued and appeals required a regrade which was successful. Then you have an argument.

I am not sure thats what you wanted to hear, but I guess you don't have any grounds for defence of backdating it. Unless you knew the role was being evaluated prior to you accepting the position. They can't say you accepted it at the previous level under those circumstance. Your defence there is "good faith"

I guess you will just have to take a deep breath and move on.

Oh, and you are idiot for not knowing this:ban:

. Would requesting they backdate the increase to 1st April count against you if future staff cutbacks are forthcoming?

it probably would be difficult to prove, but imagine the clear out of higher management if that were proved to be the reason you got the chop.

happy to be an idiot, on this occasion :thumb:

equally, I know I'm happy to have a job/decent pay as many folk these days do not, so no offence intended to anybody :)

Last edited:
not totally clear on the background but if it is written down on a chart somewhere that you were doing a better paid job from June & they are refusing to pay your new rate until July, it seems someone somewhere just can't be bothered to coordinate the paperwork. I'd pursue it.

The institutionalised accounts bod I deal with at my university job is a miserable git & sighs & rolls his eyes at me when I ask him questions like what's my payroll number & when will he process my claim form etc.

Don't know the size of your organisation but I would have thought a chat and a follow up email would sort it out without recourse to contract law.

Ade

I know the money isn't a huge amount, but that's irrelevant in my mind. I can't just make the issue (if there is one) disappear 'cos it's only a couple of nights' beer money.

This is going to sound harsh.

If I was a senior person in an organisation that had to make staff cuts because of financial constraints and I was asked by one of the survivors about this sort of backdating I'd drop my respect for them by a couple of notches and quietly suggest that they get their priorities sorted - or perhaps suggest that they might be suitable to work in a bank.

This is going to sound harsh.

If I was a senior person in an organisation that had to make staff cuts because of financial constraints and I was asked by one of the survivors about this sort of backdating I'd drop my respect for them by a couple of notches and quietly suggest that they get their priorities sorted - or perhaps suggest that they might be suitable to work in a bank.

I'm with Dryce on this one

If it was such an issue to you that you could not ignore it you should have sorted it out on the day they (effectively) promoted you, eveidently you didnt. In the current climate, to be offered the opportunity to increase your earning about £2500 pa is against the grain. My advice would be don't bite the hand that feeds you. As an employer, if one of my staff "couldn't let this go, indeed went on at all about it I absolutely would note it for the future, unofficially of course.

And remember there are 400 people who would probably have considered a £2500 reduction in earnings to keep their jobs.

And that there are now 400 people less to handle paperwork issues, too.........

What the others said really - I won a similar battle and HR got their own back eventually. The legal advice from a barrister friend was - you can win the battle and lose the war. Always take the long view; which I have done every since. Not nice, not fair either but better than the alternative of being branded a troublemaker, however unfair that may be.

From my limited local authority experience I think they would struggle to agree something not documented retrospectively. Is there any provision for them to award a discretionary bonus for the extra effort that you have had to put in instead?

As a matter of fact, letting it be known that you are not persuing it could well eventually work in your favour? As in next time there are a round of cuts due you could well be percieved as one of the good guys who "plays the game" therefore have a level of immunity.

Robert, is it true the average municipal worker in the UK claims about 10 sick days p.a.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom