Reviving the C240

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I haven't cleaned it for about 3 weeks, but despite this week's rain it's still looking good (actually it washed off the dust and pollen) and a wet drive to Norfolk with friends and still looking shiney.

received_544802679864429.jpeg
received_1110627412761299.jpegreceived_2999107466991964.jpeg

Here’s ours. It’s a brilliant car

I think there’s not enough 203 appreciation, it was a much better made car than an E46 Bmw.

Attachments

• CB929663-DD92-41DF-8763-5E623C77D02C.jpeg
    CB929663-DD92-41DF-8763-5E623C77D02C.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 17
Here’s ours. It’s a brilliant car

I think there’s not enough 203 appreciation, it was a much better made car than an E46 Bmw.
Looks like a nice one you have. I'd agree they are in a different league to an E46. One of my mates reckons it's more comfortable than my W126 S class. It gets a lot of comments for a 20 year old small saloon.

I am a bit smitten with this car. I could easily and happily drive it all day, every day. It's so relaxing, even after a few S class' I still feel at home. A 20 year old C class with auto lights and wipers, entry assist, even the passenger seat has memory. I would love to try a C32 or 55.View attachment 111847
Heated cloth seats?

I had those in my W210 E320, they were sooo comfy in the winter. I have never seen another car with that specced until now!

Original owner of my E320 had an Indian name, I guess they were Hindu/vegetarian and that was the reason.

Heated cloth seats?

I had those in my W210 E320, they were sooo comfy in the winter. I have never seen another car with that specced until now!

Original owner of my E320 had an Indian name, I guess they were Hindu/vegetarian and that was the reason.
Yes they are. It's a bit of an odd spec, I think the only options not selected where leather, parktronic and command. Not that I am complaining though, we left it in the beach carpark all day and when we came back to the car, just opened the sunroof to let the heat out, seats where still cool. I always preferred the velour option over leather in the 70s & 80s M-B's.
I think I have settled on a CLK55 for a summer but can't imagine having dark leather in a convertible.

Those roof bars & bike carrying attachment setup look very smart , looks like it allows for operation of your sunroof when installed too (maybe a bit ambitious?!) - have you any details you wouldn’t mind sharing on the setup?
Yes the sunroof operates as normal. The roof bars are from eBay. I searched w203 roof bars but these are fairly universal. Took a bit of jiggering to get them to fit nice and used some padding to protect the paint underneath. I still want to find some second hand genuine MB bars. The bike attachment is a front fork carrier, it just takes the place of the front wheel and has a quick release, it's the most secure way I have ever transport ed a bike, strap on the back wheel just to stop it pivoting on the front axle and going through the screen in a crash or sudden stop.

I take the bars off when I'm not using them as they make some wind noise when empty, having the trike on actually quietens them down.

Those roof bars & bike carrying attachment setup look very smart , looks like it allows for operation of your sunroof when installed too (maybe a bit ambitious?!) - have you any details you wouldn’t mind sharing on the setup?
If you are near Northamptonshire you are welcome to come and get these roof bars, as I've just managed to buy MB genuine ones in the next village.

Well that is another peice of the puzzle. 12 mile drive this morning to pick up my eBay bargain. Genuine MB roof bars. (Quite easy to find for S203 but not saloon). Much nicer quality, smoother looks, less wind noise, and lockable.
received_891918134726972.jpegreceived_537742397670045.jpeg

If you are near Northamptonshire you are welcome to come and get these roof bars, as I've just managed to buy MB genuine ones in the next village.
Very kind and congrats on the new bars - I used to visit a relative that way but they passed away unfortunately. The genuine bars look great on your car being silver as well… you’re not wrong they are hard to find the genuine ones for the saloon so very well done there sir!

edit sorry I had Norfolk in my head after reading your post not Northamptonshire - I actually go past that way quite a lot will send you a PM

Update time.
Latter part of last year SWMBO and our dog Colin did the coast to coast walk, and I supported/moved the camper trailer about. The car was filthy inside and out.
I forgot to get before photos but I got all the soft light grey interior bits the cleanest they have ever been using Carpride instant valet foam. 1.50 a can from the hardware shop in the village. 3 cans used as directed, and then a second pass using a stuff brush to aggetate worked great, even the cloth on the door pockets etc and the flocking on apperture seals came up good.

The bad.......
Despite fairly regular washes, over the winter just gone a fair bit of rust has shown up on the rear arches and above the bumper sides. I have rubbed it back as best I can, primed and hammerited the areas for now.
She needs suspension arms and has a noisy rear wheel bearing.
I'm going to get the mechanical parts done now as the most important part for me is it's mechanically spot on. Then in the winter have body sorted and a respray and wheel refurb.

For now, I have ordered new wheel centre caps and gunsight.received_747944456199899.jpeg

It's a 320CDi 7 seater and I thought it was an absolute bargain. Had a pleasing 85 mile drive home after a £7.50 train ride up to Nottingham. Aircon freezing cold and seat coolers on.
It's definitely more oldschool, of course despite being the same year as my 240, it's a generation behind it, feels pretty similar to my W124 300D in most ways but it's definitely quicker than the non turbo multivalve.
Of course there is a lot of polishing to be done, and I will update soon.

Well the other half has driven the 240 and decided she quite likes it.
Roughly translated that means I have lost it, but I still get to clean it etc.

Looking at it another way means it's time to start looking for another car, most likely from the 90's as the W203 was a generation newer than what I really like.
A 208 CLK would certainly compliment my 210 very well. An SLK could be considered, also a sensible W202.
No rush, I'm just going to keep a look out and buy based on condition, spec, whatever floats my boat. It will keep things interesting as I could end up with a 2.0 W201 or 6.0 C140.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom