RHD S-Class with German plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mb240

Car
W208 CLK55 AMG
I was over at my local MB indy today (Auto Motion in Galway) and noticed a not so unusual S-Class (W221 new model) parked up, didn't think much until I saw German plates on it.

Anyone seen such a thing before? Not the first time I've *heard* of somebody ordering direct from MB in Germany in RHD, but I've never seen such a thing before, and they weren't export German plates either.

Unusual in the west of Ireland - is the owner a member here? (actual purpose of post)

Was it deffo German plates? or someone with German style plates (metal plate, German font & 'D') which most Mk2 Golf owners have these days...

Anyone seen such a thing before? Not the first time I've *heard* of somebody ordering direct from MB in Germany in RHD, but I've never seen such a thing before, and they weren't export German plates either.

ISTR that Jaguar used to sell cars to Japan in LHD form even though the Japanese drive on the right.

The preference was to allow a chauffeur/driver out on the pavement to open the door for their passenger without having to walk round the car.

So perhaps this S has been spec'ed for a German customer for the same reason.

ISTR that Jaguar used to sell cars to Japan in LHD form even though the Japanese drive on the right.

AFAIK that's purely a 'prestige' thing to show the car is an expensive foreign import. SLs etc. sold in Japan were typically LHD too.

Any number of British service personnel in Germany will buy a car in RHD format and this will be on a type of German plate although I'm not sure of the modern format. Some folks keep them for just 12 months and then sell them in the UK.

Regards
John

I think that any new cars that they purchase must be registered in the UK to get the tax free status and would have UK plates.

David

simple reaon it was a factory collection waiting for the UK pdi and plates i did the same

thanks

hash

simple reaon it was a factory collection waiting for the UK pdi and plates i did the same

thanks

hash
:) The simplest is usually the most obvious, well done.

as an aside to my post I thought that for security reasons British personnel now used German plates. Thanks for putting me right.

regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom