Richer Sounds vs John Lewis??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Prob be a waste given my old man eyes. 🥴

Irrespective of absolute picture quality, OLED screens maintain quality when off axis viewing vastly better than standard LED screens which can be a big plus depending on your room seating arrangement.

Irrespective of absolute picture quality, OLED screens maintain quality when off axis viewing vastly better than standard LED screens which can be a big plus depending on your room seating arrangement.
Even so, FOC tele been dispatched and due this afternoon. I’m sure we’ll be more than happy with the QLED. 🤞

A decent sized tv is all I need these days. :dk:
If you're anything like me you'll be more excited at your 18V DeWalt than you would a new tele. :banana:

I committed to the Makita range some time ago but all of the main three brands are great value for money IMO. 👏
I’m not fussed and haven’t got any loyalty.

I bought a Hitachi cordless twinpack about 4 years ago and the batteries are toast now.
Back in Sept I got a DeWalt sds cordless so I’m now starting the DeWalt era (again).

When we moved to Greece in 2007 I took everything including a flip over saw and 2 Paslode nail guns! They’re all still there.

I’m not fussed and haven’t got any loyalty.

I bought a Hitachi cordless twinpack about 4 years ago and the batteries are toast now.
Back in Sept I got a DeWalt sds cordless so I’m now starting the DeWalt era (again).

When we moved to Greece in 2007 I took everything including a flip over saw and 2 Paslode nail guns! They’re all still there.
No loyalty here really but once I started buying lots of batteries and chargers seemed silly to buy bare machines of other brands.

In keeping with the original thread title, I have no experience of dealing with John Lewis. I have however dealt with Richer Sounds on a few occasions and can honestly say that I have no reason to complain.

My last purchase was quite a big one around 12 months ago now, and included a TV, amplifier and speakers. The makes are irrelevant really though none were particularly cheap though all are what I'd consider to be of reasonable quality. After around a month or so I started to get a problem with the sub woofer, which was emanating a constant hum every time it switched on. This wasn't too bad initially as a touch of volume would sort it out but it reached the stage where it was overpowering whatever I was listening to.

Got onto Richer Sounds via their help line and, after doing the obligatory checks (different power supply, plug/unplug etc) all of which had already been done, I was sent a box full of bubble wrap from a local packaging company which arrived by DPD the next day. The day afterwards with my sub securely placed in said box, it was transported away again, arriving back 2 weeks later with no input whatsoever needed from me. It's since been perfect and Richer Sounds went up a bit in my estimation as they could easily have dragged it on a bit. I've no doubt that I'd have had a similar experience with John Lewis though they didn't have the particular stuff I wanted at the time.

I've got money to spent a John Lewis by 22nd or I lose it.

Wish I'd ordered the 65CX LG Oled a bit back as it was £1799, now up to £1999.

Always think it important to remind people that TVs referred to as LED are LCD.

I struggled in the early days of LCD with noticing motion blur and ended up having to go with Plasma.

Pondering wether to save £500 and go with a QLED but don't think I'd be able to handle it.

Festool for me!😁
No doubt great kit Chris but IMHO not worth the premium price over the main 3. I’d rather buy a selection of 2 or 3 makita machines rather than 1 Festool.

Just like cars there’s a certain degree of brand snobbery with tools. A a tradesman that has kitted his van out with £6-7k of Festool won’t necessarily be any better than one who’s got £2k of Makita in the back. 🥴

No doubt great kit Chris but IMHO not worth the premium price over the main 3. I’d rather buy a selection of 2 or 3 makita machines rather than 1 Festool.

Just like cars there’s a certain degree of brand snobbery with tools. A a tradesman that has kitted his van out with £6-7k of Festool won’t necessarily be any better than one who’s got £2k of Makita in the back. 🥴
Agreed, apart from one very poor quality Makita tool (Petrol chainsaw that literally shook itself apart twice within a few minutes of use) I have always been impressed with the design and longevity of Makita products.

You and ya Jonny Hates Jazz cassette. 😁
Err Kylie Minogue, thank you!

That's a bit like saying Mercedes are the competition to Ford!
Every review I've read concluded that OLED was far superior to QLED.
OLED is superior IMO but it's whether you care about the differences or not.

QLED is still a very good display and wouldn't disappoint most.

Presumably Julian Richer is still the boss? He seems to have a pretty good ethos.
I seem to remember he handed over control to his staff not so long ago.

I don't think I've ever had a bad experience in any of the 4 or 5 different stores I've used in the past.

An all round good egg that guy it seems if the business he created is anything to go by...

Agreed, apart from one very poor quality Makita tool (Petrol chainsaw that literally shook itself apart twice within a few minutes of use) I have always been impressed with the design and longevity of Makita products.
They’re all pretty much the same tbh.

I’ve been using cordless equipment since about 1988 and I’ve had Elu, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi and DeWalt. I treat them very badly and I’ve never had a problem with any.

I’ve never seen much Festool gear about. Not worth the extra money is the main reason. And the fact that they’re fugly.

Last edited:
They’re all pretty much the same tbh.

I’ve been using cordless equipment since about 1988 and I’ve had Bosch, Makita, Hitachi and DeWalt. I treat them very badly and I’ve never had a problem with any.

I’ve never seen much Festool gear about. Not worth the extra money is the main reason.
I have either Makita or (mainly) De Walt 18 V power tools, one Makita drill lasted 18 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom