Ride height (ish)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
I've recently noticed (twice only) that looking at the front of the car from a distance it seems to sit unevenly.

So tonight - I got home early (makes a change) and decided that I would measure the gap in all 4 wheel arches to see if I was imagining it, or if it really is sitting unevenly.

The results were basically as follows ...

Offside front 66mm
Nearside front 81mm
Therefore a 15mm difference between the front 2 arches.

Offside rear 73mm
Nearside rear 54mm
Therefore a 19mm difference between the rear 2 arches.

The measurements were not perfect and could easily be a few mm out.

I also measured the tyre sizes (just for reference) ... and 3 came in at 620mm and one at 615mm. Admittedly the measurements are very rough, parked on a slope, and the tyre that's 615mm looked to be a bit flat if anything.

The drive itself does not seem to be affected (not that I could compare to another MB at the same time), even with an offside front tyre that is very well worn on the outside edge.

The car is due for it's MOT in 3 weeks time, so I'll either replace the tyres then or I'll get a set of alloys.

Can I assume the suspension is up the duff in some way? Any pointers would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks in advance,

K

a very unscientific guess to go with the unscientific measurements would be that one of the rear springs has snapped.

Andy

Originally posted by Kinky

Admittedly the measurements are very rough, parked on a slope, and the tyre that's 615mm looked to be a bit flat if anything.

K

Parked on a slope???? You can only check it on the flat mate, otherwise they will be different.:confused:

If you can't find a level space to re-measure the height, park facing the other way round and re-measure. That should help eliminate the effect of uneven ground.

My car's measurements from drive to centre of wheel arch are:-
N/S O/S
F 658 656
R 670 670

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom