Ride quality - how harsh should it be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slugsy

Car
E63S AMG
Hi there

I’ve had my E63S for a couple of months now. It’s my first AMG and I love it, best looking car I’ve ever owned, sound and engine is amazing.

A growing issue or at least concern I have is the ride quality which seems to be getting worse.

I don’t think it’s a suspension issue as going over speed bumps is easy and quite soft, it’s also good on hilly/bumpy roads when the tarmac is good quality.

It’s when the road quality isn’t that good or there are cracks in the road. I mean even small cracks feel like I’ve just gone down a chasm and back.

I know it’s a sports performance car and with 20” wheels it will be a firm ride and that is fine (Tyre pressure running cold at 38/36 PSI).

But it’s overly harsh to the point that my missus is considering not getting in and it’s making me conscious of every crack in the road when I’m driving rather than actually driving!

Also, there seems to be no noticeable difference in ride quality/suspension between comfort, sport and sport+.

I have had a M5 before, I also test drove the new F90 and RS6 extensively before going for the E63 and neither of them felt this harsh.

As I say, on good tarmac is great, on bad stuff is pretty appalling.

Is this normal? What do other E63 owners find?

Last edited:
It's impossible to answer this question on a forum.

We can write the usual platitudes about big wheels, sports suspension and all the rest, but your question is really along the lines of "Is my car different to another of the same spec?" And the only way to judge that is by driving, or riding in, another car.

I hated my E55 on 20 inch wheels around London's pock-marked roads, but thought it fine on motorways and driving "at the legal limit, Officer," on ordinary roads. But the more I discussed it with other high performance car owners, it became clear that it was really the spec of the car, not a fault with the build.

As for the differences between comfort and sport, others can advise in proper detail, but my understanding was that the Comfort / Sport differences were more in the gearbox management and handling at speed, rather than anything to do with coping with "low" speed lumps and bumps.

I think 20" wheels are too big for decent ride comfort. I can only sympathise as a crashy ride puts me right off - it's difficult to enjoy a roadcar when you have to scan the road for the smallest imperfections. It would be a dealbreaker on W213 E63 for me. I wonder if there are 19" as an option (or even 18") that would fit?. Sell and repurchase and you might not have to lay out too much.

Are those tyre pressures the recommended settings for the load being carried ? If there is any possibility of lowering them a touch it can only help.

Thanks folks for the prompt and helpful replies.

The tyre pressures are straight from the dealership and I think they may be a bit soft but so far so good.

I’m looking into 19” wheels at the moment which are tricky due to the calipers but I think I may have sourced some good ones.

I guess I’m a little cheesed off that for a £100k car, it can’t function well as a dual purpose on UK roads, which admittedly now I’ve really looked into it, are atrocious!

MikeinWimbledon - Thanks, appreciate your experience and I am starting from the point of view that this spec is normal but wanted to see what others thought. I’m probably going to ask the dealer to look at it re comfort, sport and sport+ just for my own peace of mind.

Alienator - I’m running Michelin PS4S which I don’t think are run flats??

I wouldn’t say the ride in mine is harsh especially compared to the A45 I previously owned which you felt every bump in. Not running Michelin PS4S tyres though, the only issue I have is the tyre skipping now with the temperatures reducing. I have some winter tyres on order hopefully these won’t impact the ride quality, but will let you know.

This may not be too relevant, but the Goodyear F1 Asy 3s really did improve the ride comfort on my C63 with 19s on 30 profile rubber, compared to the stock contis. I was thinking about switching to 18s, but they did make it acceptable for me.

Tyres do make a big difference.

I've not tried the PS4S, heard they are great, but maybe there are better options for ride comfort?

I've not found mine particularly harsh though do appreciate where you're coming from. I'm assuming that your suspension settings are on the softest, that is no lights on the switch?

I'd first try upping your tyre pressures, especially the fronts, as the minimum recommended is 41psi according to the filler flap chart. I also think that winter tyres would help as they are naturally softer, unlike the P4S which are pretty hard in this cold weather.

Thanks, I’m currently looking to source 19” wheels and winter tyres, I’m pretty sure the Michelin hate the cold weather!!

I noticed the ride getting worse as it got colder. Winters ride better, eliminate the jumping and grip better when it's very cold and slippery. They do suck (Compared to the summers) if the temperature picks up - I especially noticed that today when the ambient was 13c and the road was dry.

I noticed the ride getting worse as it got colder. Winters ride better, eliminate the jumping and grip better when it's very cold and slippery. They do suck (Compared to the summers) if the temperature picks up - I especially noticed that today when the ambient was 13c and the road was dry.

I bet that has a lot to do with it! I’m going to get it checked though, just in case.

Thanks

Funny should mention that. There was a hissing over a couple of days about a month ago from the rear? I wonder whether something went wrong with it?

I think I need to at least get it checked. Thanks
I often get hissing a few minutes after the end of a journey, I think it's normal.

Practically brand new ! I have zero experience of driving this car , so over to those on here who have .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom