Riding Motorbikes without a bike licence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JumboBeef

Car
W124 E220 Estate Auto
I passed my car test in 1982. I know the law has changed much since then (when I could ride a 125 on L plates). Is there any sort of bike I can jump on today and ride without undertaking any sort of test?

Could I ride a 50cc scooter?

Cheers.

I think you can ride a scooter up to 50cc, but it has to be restricted to 50kph (31mph).

Hmmm - an alias of JumboBeef on a 50cc moped. Think I'd pay money to see that one...... :bannana:

Hmmm - an alias of JumboBeef on a 50cc moped. Think I'd pay money to see that one...... :bannana:

:p

fat-man-on-motorcycle.jpg

No, really: I am thinking of getting a motorhome, and wondered about having a scooter on it, to run to the shops for bread and milk when on site, so I don't have to take the whole thing with me.

A few years ago my wife got a 125cc scooter and we both had to a basic CBT to be able to ride it on L plates. The L plates expired after a certain time period by which point we'd both have had to sit the full test. I didn't bother, can't remember if she did as she got preggo and the scooter went.

I think you may just be able to get a 50cc scooter, do the CBT and that's it.....sem to recall that was the case.

I *thought* that I didn't have to do the CBT (for a 50cc) because I passed my car test in the 80's......?

....and don't forget a 50cc scooter is pretty slow.

125's are surprisingly quick off the mark - they keep up with London traffic from the lights. Just don't get a girlie-retro Vespa like my wife did as handling/suspension/tryres/brakes are all c**p. Scary to ride.

Your other alternative is just to get a bike or two - on short runs much faster.

No need for gear, parking places, clunky locks, etc etc etc

If you getting a motor home why don't you consider getting a quad or a buggy there much better, more practical than a bike and look cool.

As you stand you can ride a 50cc moped without L-plates, as you passed your car test before February 2001.

About compulsory basic training (CBT) : Directgov - Motoring

However, there's no harm in doing a CBT, and if you do it, you can also ride anything up to 125cc with L-plates. Which means you can't go on motorways or carry pillions, unless you do the full motorbike test, which involves theory and practical.

If you getting a motor home why don't you consider getting a quad or a buggy there much better, more practical than a bike and look cool.

'cause it wont go on the back of the motorhome probably. ;)

Thanks.

I hold a C1 licence.

I passed my car test in 1982. I know the law has changed much since then (when I could ride a 125 on L plates). Is there any sort of bike I can jump on today and ride without undertaking any sort of test?

You can ride a 125 rated at up to 12bhp on L plates as your licence counts as a provisional for that.

That means you can't take a passenger unless they have a full MB licence.

You're not subject to the 2 year provisional limit before you have to take a test.

Could I ride a 50cc scooter?

Yes.

You can ride a Moped on your full car licence, without L plates, anything else requires a CBT,which has recently been changed...

The rules... Enjoy!

The Law

UK Motorcycle Licences

The law on Motorcycle testing and licensing changed in January 1997, introducing new classes of tests and licence categories. It was changed again in February 2001. It may change again with the 3rd European Driving Licence Directive, due in 2011.

Briefly the rules are currently (2009) : -

Provisional Licences

All moped and motorcycle provisional licence holders (including full car as provisional) must, by law, hold a current DL96 (CBT) certificate, showing they have completed the Compulsory Basic Training course before riding on the road. (A Provisional Licence isn't not a valid licence without a CBT certificate).

A provisional moped licence (Group P) can be held from 16 years old and isn't time limited.
But remember if you de-restrict your moped, it's then legally a motorcycle.

A provisional motorcycle licence (Group A) can be held from 17 years old.
Those issued before 1st Feb 2001 were time limited to 2 yrs. from date of issue; whilst those issued from 1st Feb 2001 are valid to age 70. If yours will, or has lapsed under the old rules you can now apply to have this restored immediately.

If applying for a provisional car licence, be sure to tick the box asking for motorcycle also. Otherwise you will have to re-apply - and pay - again to add on motorcycle entitlement.

Remember on a provisional licence / entitlement you must display L plates and no pillion passengers or motorway use!

Full Licences

A full moped licence automatically gives you a motorcycle provisional but you must be over 17.

A full car licence automatically gives you a motorcycle provisional.

Full car licences issued before 1st Feb 2001 automatically gave you a full moped licence. You could ride without L plates, even endanger a passenger all without taking any training but we recommend you do. Training is essential.

Car licences issued after 1st Feb. 2001 now only give a moped entitlement. You need a CBT as well but that CBT is presently valid for the life of your car licence (but only for a moped).

If you pass your car test after 1st Feb. 2001, do a CBT, then send both certificates to DVLA and get the full moped entitlement on your licence.

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) :-
Can only be carried out with Approved Training Bodies using qualified Instructors, all regulated by the Driving Standards Agency and the course content laid down by law.

A CBT obtained on a moped is also valid for motorcycle (at 17 yrs. old).
If you passed a full moped test after 1st Dec 1990, you don't need a CBT for motorcycle.

Residents on some remote islands are exempt from CBT (but only on those islands). Check with DVLA / DSA if you think your location may be exempt.

If you do your CBT on a motorcycle with sidecar or a moped with more than 2 wheels, your provisional entitlement will be restricted to that same type of vehicle.

You can do a CBT using a motorcycle & sidecar combination or other 3 wheeler but, if you do, then your CBT will be qualified and only valid for 3 wheelers

Motorcycle Training

As above, CBT training can only be carried out by Approved Training Bodies and Instructors.

For up to 125cc learner bikes, you can teach yourself and/or be taught by a mate; it's quite legal as long as your mate isn't paid anything. If he/she takes any money then that's "professional instruction" and the Instructor must be qualified (ask to see his DSA licence).

For Direct Access, you are only allowed on road if accompanied by a qualified Instructor, on another motorcycle and in radio contact at all times. So professional training is the only route here.

The Theory Test

You will probably have to pass the Theory Test before taking a practical test for a moped or motorcycle.

A full car licence does NOT exempt you from the Theory Test anymore.

The theory test is not required if you have passed a two part moped test or a lower category motorcycle test since 1st July 1996. It can be taken before you take a CBT but it must be a Motorcycle theory test, even if you have just sat the Car theory test.

The Theory Test Pass Certificate is valid for 2 years.

The pass mark is 43 out of 50 multiple-choice questions. You get 57 minutes to do it, results will be given on the day. The test uses a touch-screen computer but the questions can be read to you on earphones and you may ask for an extended special needs test if necessary.

From October 2002, they added a hazard perception test as well, video clips and testing 'Hazard Perception'.

Get a Theory Test Quiz Book (approx. £7) from your bookseller, or better a recommended CD-Rom (approx £14) as the format of the test is not as straight-forward as you might think. The top resource here is the DVLA's own free online mock test.

Contact the Booking Centre online, or find phone numbers, at DVLA The fee is currently £20.50

Test Times usually 9.00am to 4.15pm Mon. to Fri.
Sometimes to 6.15pm Evenings.
9.00am to 12.15pm Saturdays.

Any tranining school will be happy to test and help you with your knowledge for the Theory Test.

Licence / Test Groups

Moped Is, by law :-Max. 31 mph, 50 cc, age 16 or over and you need :-
A provisional Moped entitlement
A Compulsory Basic Training certificate
Then ride with "L" plates
Pass Theory Test
Pass Moped test
Ride without "L" plates and even carry a pillion passenger
But remember if you de-restrict your moped, it's then legally a motorcycle (see Top tips/misc/de-restrict mopeds)

A1 "Light Motorcycle" Is, by law :-Max. 125 cc, 11kW / 14.6 Bhp, age 17 or over and you need :-
A provisional Motorcycle entitlement
A CBT certificate (unless you've already passed a moped test, see above)
Then ride with "L" plates
Pass Theory Test (unless you already hold moped licence from 1st July 1996, see above)
Pass your test on a machine between 75 & 125 cc.
Ride without "L" plates and carry a pillion passenger but only bikes up to 125cc and 11kW

A2 "Standard Motorcycle" Is, by law 25kW / 33 Bhp & Power/Weight ratio below 16kW/kg, age
17 or over and you need :-
A CBT certificate (unless you've already passed a moped or A1 test, see above)
Then ride with "L" plates on machines up to 125cc and up to 11 kW only,
Pass Theory Test (unless you've already passed moped or A1 test, see above)
Pass your test on a machine between 120 & 125 cc, capable of at least 62 mph.
Ride without "L" plates and carry a pillion passenger on any bike but you are restricted to a 33 Bhp machine for 2 years; after that, you're free to ride any bike, there's no re-test.

A "Direct Access" Is, by law Over 35kW / 46 Bhp, age 21 or over and you need :-
A CBT certificate (unless you've already passed a moped, A1 or A2 test, see above)
Pass Theory Test (unless you've already passed a moped, A1 or A2 test, see above)
Learn only with an approved Instructor, in radio contact, on a machine over 35kW / 46.6Bhp.
Pass your test on a machine over 46.6 Bhp.
Ride any bike you want straight way, without "L" plates and carry a pillion passenger.

A "Accelerated Access" (A2 licence holders, reaching 21 but before their 2 year restriction ends)
Learn only under controlled instruction, with "L" plates, all as for Direct Access.
A test failure won't affect your existing licence.

The Practical Test costs £51 (£60 on Saturdays and evenings).

Last edited:
speaking from experience, scooters are more dangerous than useful, i would recommend getting a cheap 125 bike and doing a CBT, even if u dont need one it will help immensely to keep you safe, bikes are a different ball game to cars,
i commuted on a 125 for many months (now on a 400 :bannana: ) 1 of the 125's was very slow (12 or 13bhp), couldn't keep up with traffic and cars did silly things to get past me, the other had the full 14.6bhp legally allowed and could comfortably hold 80 on dual carriageways, suddenly i could keep pace and cars stopped trying stupid overtakes.

plus the quicker bike once returned 101mpg (average of 90 tho) :thumb: not bad for something that cost me 300 quid to buy

Thanks for the replies.

I don't want to take any tests of any sort, and I wouldn't need any more than a 50 because, as I said, it is only going to used with a motorhome, to run maybe the mile or so to the local village shop from the camp site (if it was further, I would drive).

50cc's should be more than adequate for motorhome use.

As others have said, do consider spending £60 on a CBT despite the fact you dont need to do it legally.

It'll teach you some good stuff and make you a safer rider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom