Right to 30-day refund becomes law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For faulty goods, not, as so many believe, because of a change of mind, it doesn't fit, etc, etc

What might also be of note is that it also makes " Class Action " type lawsuits in the UK easier--- Which some owners of current VAG products might be interested in. ;)

For faulty goods, not, as so many believe, because of a change of mind, it doesn't fit, etc, etc

Absolutely.

Examples of this include the Consumer Ombudsman, which is free to use for consumers. However not all retailers are signed up to such ADR providers.
The Consumer Rights Act says that goods

must be of satisfactory quality, based on what a reasonable person would expect, taking into account the price

must be fit for purpose. If the consumer has a particular purpose in mind, he or she should make that clear

We get this sometimes, people bringing product back because it is not 'fit for purpose' and demanding a refund.

I try to explain that if they had mentioned they were buying soft moccasins to keep their feet dry while walking their dog across wet fields in the morning we would have not sold them to them.
They don't get it.

Just yesterday, I had someone return a bright blue Barbour that I ordered as a special (horrible colour) because 'it is not fit for purpose!!'
"What purpose is that?"
"I bought it to match my blue boots but it is a different shade of blue."
Again she wouldn't have it that is not a case of not being fit for purpose.

We are pretty good, we let people return stuff as long as it is the same season, or if it has moved to a new season and the stock is old we say they get 28 days anyway. But some people seriously take the piss and they are the ones that mouth off like mad.

Last month someone posted on facebook that I wouldn't refund a pair of faulty shoes where the soles had started crumbling.
I replied that we had not stocked that brand for over 8 years and keeping rubber soled shoes in an dry airing cupboard (her words) for that long would cause the soles to disintegrate.
Also, 8 years from a pair of £24.99 shoes was more than fair wear and tear.
Luckily every single person on there said she was taking the piss. :rolleyes:

Most people are fine though, come in with the right attitude and we will bed over backwards to sort the issue, come in shouting and shouting 'your rights' (which they have ALWAYS got wrong) and it will put our backs up.

I do think most people have an argument in their heads before they have even returned something, so by the time they have got in they go off on one when they are not really like that.

All my staff say "No problem, what would you like us to do?"
It is amazing how they suddenly become very understanding we are a small indi shop and say "Oh, let me just find something else.".

I once took a faulty DVD player back to an outlet who shall remain nameless, but rhymes with 'Ruby Murray' - It had totally failed after a fortnight.
Despite my protestations they insisted that if it was more than a couple of days old it would have to go back to the manufacturer - even the shop manager refused to budge.
So reluctantly I left it for repair and received a ticket for it.
As I walked out of the shop, I picked up one of their brochures which said quite clearly "If you are in any way dissatisfied with any product, simply return it with the original packaging and receipt and we will be pleased to refund you in full"
I turned round, called the manager back and pointed this out and said that I would like a refund, and with the refund I would like to purchase a new one.
"Get the gentleman a new one from the warehouse" was his response. :)

We also get this thrown at us occasionally, along with distance selling regs etc.

The majority of our transactions are B2B and are covered by an entirely different set of rules.

I generally find the more they protest, the louder they shout, the less they are genuinely entitled to anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom