Rim protected tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Gents

Does anyone know of a definitive way to check which (new) tyres have inbuilt rim/kerbing protection?

I've just spent the last two hours speaking/live chatting with idiots who want me to gamble on them being correct that "I think it has sir, order them and find out" seems to be normal. I am stunned.

I meed some 235/40/18's but due to the wheel design, I definitely need rim protection, it looks daft at the moment with the lovely ditchfinders that are on there...the size is definitely correct for the wheel and the car.

Rant over !

Last edited:
Gents

Does anyone know of a definitive way to check which (new) tyres have inbuilt rim/kerbing protection?

I've just spent the last two hours speaking/live chatting with idiots who want me to gamble on them being correct that "I think it has sir, order them and find out" seems to be normal. I am stunned.

I meed some 235/40/18's but due to the wheel design, I definitely need rim protection, it looks daft at the moment with the lovely ditchfinders that are on there...the size is definitely correct for the wheel and the car.

Rant over !

I can vouch for the goodyear asy 2 having a very generous rim protector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michelin Pilot Sport 3's have rim protectors but when damaged look awful. Although mine have passed the MOT test with the damage, they actually look dangerous and if the damage is done early on in the life of the tyre, you'll have to live with it for a long time - they are very hardwearing tyres.

Gents

Rant over !

I notice your in Camberley. My dads tyre shop is in Cambrrley ring him for a price and tell him you know me from MB club. Stuart

Shop is Ropers ask for Martin

Think it's easier to set a pole asking if the specific tyres that you're interested in have a rim protector or not.

I can confirm that Michelin PS3 and Continental CS5 both have rim protectors.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics - I have 17's on the S204 on recently refurbed AMG rims, really happy with the tyres (quiet, yet very good grip wet and dry) and the rim protect works! Tested it accidentally last Sunday, really annoyed with myself, but rim is OK.

I notice your in Camberley. My dads tyre shop is in Cambrrley ring him for a price and tell him you know me from MB club. Stuart

Shop is Ropers ask for Martin

I'll do that once narrowed down, cheers.

18" Conti Sport 3's on our E and 19" Pirelli P-Zeros on our SL both project way beyond the rim by a good half inch or so.

what about changing the width to wider/lower (so you end up with the same rolling radius)?

That way, the tyre itself is the rim protector, which is how it should be. and indeed, how it used to be before regular Alloy refurbs strangely became acceptable....

......and you get wider tyres! Win-win..

Spent some time on this today.
Had another look at the ovlov.
One of the rear tyres is a Dunlop Sport Maxx RT XL, the other rear is a Pzero. Both have a degree of rim protection. The Pirelli is wearing unevenly and not long for this world, the Dunlop is almost new, and by some degree of fortune I have chanced upon some almost new matching Dunlops which will go on next week, and it'll get treated to a proper 4 wheel align.
Thanks to all - that Tyreleader site was invaluable in terms of narrowing down.

I have both Continental ContiSportContact 3 and Pirelli PZeros on my Audi TT and I noticed that the Continentals have a more generous rim protector!

18" Conti Sport 3's on our E and 19" Pirelli P-Zeros on our SL both project way beyond the rim by a good half inch or so.

Would love to see these rim protected tyres, any pics? Something I might be interested in the future too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom