Rim protectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalvin928

Car
S205 C63s , Lotus Carlton replica, CLK 200 Kompressor
Hi is anyone using these with their alloys? On my present set up they wont be much good, however i have bought some 19" from a member on here, however looking at the design; if i kerb them, the damage could extend onto actual spokes and not just the rim... There is a few on ebay and arent expensive, but do the job to a certain degree?

Tried a set of Alloygators on the wifes SLK. Did not look too bad until they were kerbed and then the torn plastic looked much worse than a scuffed alloy. In my opinion not worth the hassle.

Tried a set of Alloygators on the wifes SLK. Did not look too bad until they were kerbed and then the torn plastic looked much worse than a scuffed alloy. In my opinion not worth the hassle.

But did it do the job it was supposed to ? - that is protect the alloy from that prang she had OR has the alloy also now been marked ?

But did it do the job it was supposed to ? - that is protect the alloy from that prang she had OR has the alloy also now been marked ?
Yes it did protect the alloy so I guess it did what it was designed to do. Personally I could not get on with the look of them scuffed or not. I know this is tempting fate but her parking seems to have improved recently!

Go for some decent tyres like Michelin SP3, they have a massive rim protection lip, a good 20mm projection!

Go for some decent tyres like Michelin SP3, they have a massive rim protection lip, a good 20mm projection!
I remember back in the day of crossply tyres, Firestone made special tyres for Mercedes with built in scuff rings on the sidewall, it was called something along the lines of "Firestone MB250"

Strange, assuming you really mean PS3, photos show they have no rim protection whatsoever. You'd only get any piece of mind if you fit overly wide ones for the wheel width.

michelin_pilot_sport_3.jpg

Strange, assuming you really mean PS3, photos show they have no rim protection whatsoever. You'd only get any piece of mind if you fit overly wide ones for the wheel width.

michelin_pilot_sport_3.jpg

This mine, please excuse the muck! Hopefully one can see the rim protection offered. The tyres are MB recommended size.

IMG_20140225_182736_zps60app479.jpg

Interesting, perhaps the bead sits differently in MB wheels. Is it just the sidewall standing proud or is there a hard rubber rim protector?

Hard rubber projection

I think with some brands of tyre there are rim protectors on certain sizes and not others. Can't remember what the brand is but my brother has rim protectors on his front tyres but not his rears and the dealer told us that was the reason.

This is on a brand new car, so sounds reasonable, unless there was a mix up at the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom