Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
or maybe your second name is rimstock:D

Another 10 days to go :(

They say they have done the centres but are waiting for new bolts to come from germany and are still doing the outers.

Thanks

Jay
Hi Jay,
Any news on your wheels? mine are starting around the valves! :(

Sorry to be a pain guys. Like I stated earlier I am OCD about my car and just hate the fact that my wheel has that scratch. I have been careful for a year but an idiot waiting in the middle of the road made me cut in early and now my pride and joy is blemished. According to Ringways figures, refurbishing my wheel will set me back about £115 pounds. A brand new one costs £600 and some used ones I have seen on ebay cost about £250 - £350.

The £115 doesnt really bother me. I am worried the wheel may come back looking diffeent from the other 3. However according to Ringways account and what I have found on the Internet, Rimfurbish/ Rimstock have a large operation producing wheels for the biggest car companies so I believe these guys know their onions and my wheel should come back looking just like it did the day I bought the car.

Do you guys think the damage in the attached picture is enough to warrant a full refurbishment on a 1 year old wheel?

Attachments

• mbtyre3.jpg
    mbtyre3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 255
Sorry to be a pain guys. Like I stated earlier I am OCD about my car and just hate the fact that my wheel has that scratch. I have been careful for a year but an idiot waiting in the middle of the road made me cut in early and now my pride and joy is blemished. According to Ringways figures, refurbishing my wheel will set me back about £115 pounds. A brand new one costs £600 and some used ones I have seen on ebay cost about £250 - £350.

The £115 doesnt really bother me. I am worried the wheel may come back looking diffeent from the other 3. However according to Ringways account and what I have found on the Internet, Rimfurbish/ Rimstock have a large operation producing wheels for the biggest car companies so I believe these guys know their onions and my wheel should come back looking just like it did the day I bought the car.

Do you guys think the damage in the attached picture is enough to warrant a full refurbishment on a 1 year old wheel?

When I took my wheels to Rimfurbish I had 1no, brand new wheel from Nick at Euromerc and my 3no, old wheels. When I got the wheels back I couldn't tell which was the new wheel and I still can't.

The systems in place at the Rimfurbish plant will ensure your wheel will be the exact same colour and finish as a new wheel.

Have you enquired if a ready-refurbished wheel is in stock for a straight swap-out to reduce the wait?

When I took my wheels to Rimfurbish I had 1no, brand new wheel from Nick at Euromerc and my 3no, old wheels. When I got the wheels back I couldn't tell which was the new wheel and I still can't.

The systems in place at the Rimfurbish plant will ensure your wheel will be the exact same colour and finish as a new wheel.

Have you enquired if a ready-refurbished wheel is in stock for a straight swap-out to reduce the wait?

Wow! You are not asleep, didnt expect a reply so soon. I havent enquired, I would rather have my own wheel repaired and sent back to me. I,ll use my spare when the wheel goes away.

Do you think it is worth it refurbishing the wheel for such little damage?

I dont think its that bad to be honest, give it a month or so and see if your still bothered by it.

I had a walk around the Rimfurbish plant this afternoon. As ringway say, it's very impressive. The scale of the place is incredible, and it all seems well controlled, and based on the work I saw whilst there - and other members wheels - very well executed.

I did one of mine just like that, I sanded the area to smooth it off and then sprayed some lacquer over it to seal it (otherwise the surrounding lacquer will lift).

I will get it refurbed, once I kerb it again!!! :mad:

I had a walk around the Rimfurbish plant this afternoon. As ringway say, it's very impressive. The scale of the place is incredible, and it all seems well controlled, and based on the work I saw whilst there - and other members wheels - very well executed.

Are you having wheels refurbished Bobby?

Post some pics if you can. :thumb:

An update:

The refurb job by Rimfurbish was fantastic and I'd recommend the company to anyone.

However, after 17, months the wheels have started to deteriorate slightly.
I don't think Rimfurbish are to blame in any way. It's just the nature of the Sador wheels.

The deterioration is definitely from inside out. The laquer is still intact, but a reaction is occuring from the alloy and getting under the laquered surface.
It's not the end of the world, though. The wheels still look fabulous and i can live with the very few, minor blemishes.

Rimfurbish are still held in the highest regard. It's a pity that MB couldn't have done a little homework and/or revised the base alloy to prevent the downfall of such beautiful wheels. :doh:

Is the corrosion all over randomly or only on the lacquered only sections? I suspect the latter, which means it is the age old problem of lacquer on alloy.

If the deterioration is from the inside out, is it possible that its starting from the the mating surfaces of wheel and hub?

They look spot on

Are you having wheels refurbished Bobby?

Post some pics if you can. :thumb:

They doing my usual AMG IV as we speak.

Will do, hopefully have them back next week.

ringway .... did rimfurbish warn you about reduced life span of diamond cut finishes ?

i'm about to start looking where to get my Brabus rims refurbished, and will read this thread in more detail and with interest when i get a chance.

i'm also about to post a thread looking for input on the subject of these rims and different finishes

But it is good to see you giving feedback after a year or so, because none of use want to be spending a couple of hundred pounds each year refurbishing their wheels on top of the exuberant cost of new boots

ringway .... did rimfurbish warn you about reduced life span of diamond cut finishes ?

I think it is mentioned earlier in this thread that Rimfurbish give a 12, month gaurantee and that most other refurbishers give a maximum of 6, months for a diamond-cut finish (some only 3, months).

I you are opting for a painted finish, I wouldn't have any worries about the standard and guarantee from Rimfurbish. The painted finishes are fabulous and if after another few years my Sador's deteriorate badly enough, they'll return to Rimfurbish for one of the superb silver finishes. :cool:

Rimfurbish have a big advantage in that they also make wheels for, amongst others, Aston Martin and Lotus.

They also have the contract to refurb all Mercedes alloys in the U.K. and quite possibly Europe too.

ok cool, i have a refurb questions thread posted now with some queries and asking people for thoughts and ideas for my brabus rims, please feel free to drop by and leave some thoughts :)

Thank you ... link was a bit off (5 pages off !) .... but i found them - and enjoyed the read :D

Couple of questions if you don't mind (if you've found my thread then you know what's coming :p )

1. how have they lasted so far, any issues ?
2. what colour are the inner edges of those cut outs on yours ?
3. would you recommend the diamond cut over powder coating/spraying ?
4. do rimfurbish do a chrome finish paint ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom