Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Picked up the orginal AMG IV wheels from Rimfurbish this evening - 3 weeks in total.

Had a quick look at each of them. The quality of the work really is very good - a lovely finish that's difficult to find fault with.

I think the give away that it's not the original factory finish is: (i) the shine is too deep and glossy; and (ii) the finish has too much glitter.

Three weeks to refurb a set of wheels??

I could carve a set with a rusty chisel quicker than that!

What reasons do they give for taking so long?

Three weeks to refurb a set of wheels??

I could carve a set with a rusty chisel quicker than that!

What reasons do they give for taking so long?

:D

Can you do a set for £220 to the same quality? If so, then put my name down for a set!! :p

Rimfurbish isn't just a wheel refurbisher in the typical sense, it's a production facility for their own-branded after-market wheels (Rimstock, Team Dynamics), aftermarket wheels on behalf of other brands, new equipment for vehicle manufacturers (big job for Aston Martin when I was there), and large scale refurb for UK distributors of vehicle manufacturers.

They manufacture many thousands of wheels and the refurbishing business is tiny in comparison. To be honest, I doubt it actually makes them much money.

Of course the manufacturing business produces wheels in batches, so they simply add refurb wheels to a batch that have the same or similar specifications, eg undercoat colour, topcoat colour, etc.

When I booked in they made it clear that my wheels would have to fit in amongst that lot. They said about a week, but I said don't rush because I don't need them turned around quickly and I'll be away for more than a week.

If you don't need the wheels being refurbed for mobility, then the quality of finish and relative value make the turnaround time reasonable. Of course with the exception of motor/wheel traders and enthusiasts (with multiple sets of wheels), there's a limited market for this type of service.

:D

(big job for Aston Martin when I was there)

I dropped my wheels off there this week and was told the pic below is of that big job (for a small car). Apparently they can't make enough of these.

Attachments

• RGA_AstonMartin_Cars_Beauty_Cygnet_imageCrop02.jpg
    RGA_AstonMartin_Cars_Beauty_Cygnet_imageCrop02.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 147
Mine have been with rimstock for 12 days and as I was quoted 10 I thought I'd chase up for an estimated date of completion. They have just called back to say that they had been painted "but looked crap" so they have been sent back to the start of the process. Looks like I'll be waiting another couple of weeks!!

Luckily the wheels were an impulse buy I don't really need so am not too worried about the delay. And if they are being honest about the cause of the delay they sound like they take pride in the work they put out the door so will just be patient and look forward to a fabulous result!

I recall my order takin 10-12 days from start to finish, but Rimfurbish do seem to be dragging their feet these days. I can't believe it's down to capacity, though. The plant is enormous and the systems they have should make it very easy for them to handle almost any amount of work. :confused:

The end product is worth waiting for though. ;)

They've had my wheels for over four weeks now (told to expect 10 working days when I dropped them off). I'm not in any real hurry as they were an unnecessary impulse buy, but they have failed to call me back for two consecutive days with an update of when I can expect them to be complete, which I think is plain rude.

What would others do now, moan a lot to them and risk them rushing them out or bide your time and hope the wait is worth it?

If i was to get mine done which is soon by the look of them, i shall suggest for them to sign for the said time it will take.

If i was to get mine done which is soon by the look of them, i shall suggest for them to sign for the said time it will take.
When they originally quoted a timescale double that which they have on their website I thought they would easily turn them around. I'm obviously just too trusting!

I'll follow your lead next time, but even a piece of paper with a date on it doesn't help if they wont return your calls.

A good point, well made.

My wife will kill me if I pay full price now anyway!

They've had my wheels for over four weeks now (told to expect 10 working days when I dropped them off). I'm not in any real hurry as they were an unnecessary impulse buy, but they have failed to call me back for two consecutive days with an update of when I can expect them to be complete, which I think is plain rude.

What would others do now, moan a lot to them and risk them rushing them out or bide your time and hope the wait is worth it?

That's very disappointing, Martyn.

It's a great shame that Rimfurbish are taking longer than promised, something which seems to be happening on a regular basis. I'll say it again, I can't imagine they are having capacity problems given the mammoth scale of the plant and the processes in place, but I may be wrong. I'm sure it's very frustrating to be kept waiting so long.

Tip: I think anyone who might use Rimfurbish in the future should say that their car is on axle stands while the wheels are being refurbished and maybe set a firm date (going on holiday in the car) for completion of the works.

I have a guess that the wheels that are delayed are the ones brought in by customers who say they are in no hurry, they have slave wheels to use, or the use of another vehicle whilst the works are completed. Setting a firm date would be the way to go in the future.

The only other thing that may be hindering the process is supply problems. It's common these day (in any industry I should think) that a supplier (or one of their suppliers) goes to the wall and disrupts a well-oiled machine.

I tried some snow foam from The Ultimate Finish which was very good (won the Auto Express best award) and when I reordered I had to wait a month for delivery because they couldn't get hold of one of the ingredients due to a supplier problem. I ordered 2no 5, litre containers and the "New Improved" Snow Foam is not as good as the original one. :(

They told me over a week ago that they had done them once but the finish wasn't up to scratch so they were doing them again. I'm assuming if they can do them once already they have adequate supply of materials.

They told me over a week ago that they had done them once but the finish wasn't up to scratch so they were doing them again. I'm assuming if they can do them once already they have adequate supply of materials.

Yes, that is probably correct, but a supply problem in another area can rock the boat and leave them playing catch up for orders that are quite possibly delayed longer than yours.

I dealt with a guy called Matt Ball at Rimfurbish and he was super-efficient. I'm certain he's not been at the company for some time. Shame, he was brilliant.

I wouldn't describe the new guy as super efficient! If I was called back when promised and was kept up to date with progress (or lack of) I'd be reasonably happy waiting, but as I say it is just poor customer service to leave people in the dark.

This is making me think i need to get mine over to them sooner rather than later, although i fall into that category of having spare wheels, or at least i do now as my originals have effectively become my spare winter wheels, with winter tyres going on them in a few days time

They are very good but to be honest I have had so many sets done by A1 in wolverhampton now as Im too impatient to wait more than a week for a refurb... quality is almost as good.

To be fair Jay you did recommend them to me on another thread, I should have listened!!

I've just had an update from them and I have been assured they will be ready for collection next Wednesday (only 26 working days!) so hopefully the end is in sight.

I'm finally going to pick my refurbed wheels up this afternoon. The excitement this may have caused has been completely disipated by the fact it is 5 weeks since I dropped them off. Question is, what sort of discount would people be haggling for (if any) given that I was told two weeks when I dropped them off? I'm sure if they offered an express service they would charge more so the opposite should hold true shouldn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom