Riots... it did happen

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by markjay, Sep 8, 2011.

1. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    After all that have been said and done (well, mainly said), and now that the riots are becoming a distant memory, and the discussion is about leniency towards those caught, and about 'the causes of crime' and 'alienated underclass', and so on.... just some footage from 16th August, a reminder that should make every law abiding citizen feel very very uncomfortable indeed. Nothing special or new about it, which is - sadly - exactly the point.

Video: Man dragged off scooter by mob in Croydon riot - Telegraph

2. Troon

Troon MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A big one
    It's amazing how quickly things are forgotten, isn't it? I remember thinking this three weeks after the 2004 Banda Aceh tsunami, how life just carried on as normal - obviously, not for those affected.

It's the Monkeysphere effect.

1 person likes this.
  3. finisterre

finisterre Active Member

Car:
    Vito, Z4, 530i touring
    It makes me want a rifle. It is almost impossible to believe the rioters have anything to contribute to society. They are clearly the wrong sort of monkey.

ook ook bang!

4 people like this.
  4. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    The way they grabbed that poor man, could have killed him. At least he could have head butted some of them....

1 person likes this.
  5. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    Spoken like a true Scotsman :D

On a more serious note, I dont think much will be done if at all about those rioting. Wasn't there talk of removing benefits from those involved? Anyone know if these have been successful? I know of only one family who were getting evicted as a result.

1 person likes this.
  6. Scott_F

Scott_F MB Enthusiast

No one has actually been evicted. One council started the eviction process (it takes months) due to a family member being charged with offences during the riots (who may or may not be found guilty).

Even if they are convicted it is unlikely whether the family will be evicted - just more hollow posturing by the authorities who want to look tough.

7. developer

developer MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    I see a figure has been released saying (I think) 80% of those arrested had got "previous".

So much for "protests against the shooting" etc. etc.

8. Dr-Nab

Dr-Nab MB Enthusiast

Car:
    B8.5 S5 Coupe 430hp/520nm
    I'd gladly start my own correctional facility - where the rioters have to queue up for correctional duties by way of a beating with aluminium baseball bats from all the victims of the riots.

+1 for headbutting some of them though!

1 person likes this.
  9. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 740Li
    Rugby world cup about to start.

Imagine 15 wimpy rioters facing the All Blacks Haka with the knowledge that they have 2 halves of that 'sport' to look forward too?

1 person likes this.
  10. Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    I just hope we have learned lessons from handling the lawless - and we put it into practice when the rent-a-riot mob kicks off at Dale Farm...

11. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Note the police at the end of the road "observing".

The Met should be disbanded and replaced, this is just one more example of their total incompetence.

12. Scott_F

Scott_F MB Enthusiast

They weren't observing they were "containing" !

13. balge

balge Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz W124
    Looks like they were doing whatever their 'managers' told them to do i.e. stand around like ostriches with their heads stuck in the sand while ordinary people were suffering outrageously.

Still, no change there.

14. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    It hurts the other person when you use your forehead, with a motorcycle helmet you could cause serious mahem:thumb::thumb:

Given the legistlation etc in this country (where is developer215 when you need him) I cannot see how you can evict a tennent for having a criminal conviction.

What you can do is once their lease comes to an end you can not renew it (I don't know how council tennancy operates) or you can convict the offender and put them in prison. If they are the "breadwinner" then the rent payments fail to be made, and you evict using the legal process.

I actually have revised my views, I think we should bring back chain gangs and make them work till they drop. Those convicted of these crimes should be forced to put right the damage they did.

15. OP
    OP
    markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    On the plus side... by not intervening, Police where never overrun by the gangs.

As they were clearly very few policemen, the risk of having the yobs overwhelm the poilce line and attack individual officers was just too great.

It is not just about the personal safety of officers, which by itself is of course paramount, but also about the fact that images of British police being beaten by yobs doing the rounds on Youtube would have had devastating results. It would have given yobs a massive injection of motivation, as once they gain confidence there will be no going back.

So in that sense the tactics used by police forces - not to engage when outnumbered - ensured that Yobs will not have a field day at the Poilce expense.

Said that, this still does not explain why there so few officers out there in the first place...

...but it does not help when the other guy weilds a knife... alas an all too common occurrence in London's streets today.

2 people like this.
  16. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Markjay, a good post and an from a perspective I did not see?

Perhaps mobilizing a few troops, perhaps either armed or with those armoured vehicles might have been an idea?

Trick is, we need to learn from this, as those riots will come back again, and again.

17. davethemus

davethemus Active Member

Car:
    mercedes c280 1999
    not this again....:crazy:

all we can do is be prepared, everyone should get off there back side and learn a martial art or two. get yourself as fit and strong as possible so that if it does happen near or around you, you can do as much damage as possible. the person primarily responsible for your safety is, you.

i've been learning krav maga, kung fu and i also box so i'm alright jack.

:p:D

18. finisterre

finisterre Active Member

Car:
    Vito, Z4, 530i touring
    [youtube]SbYACqMGWJw[/youtube]

1 person likes this.
Tags: