RIP Peter Bonetti.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another sad day. I knew Peter in the mid sixties when some of the Chelsea team would enjoy a Friday evening at the very small club in Heston that I also frequented. Peter was more health conscious than some other notables in the team, or perhaps more worried about the wrath of Tommy Docherty if he were ever to find out they were out drinking the night before a match. On the few occasions he did venture out he was always quiet and very polite, and only had soft drinks. He was one of life’s gentlemen and I remember him fondly.

Bad day for any cnut passing away. Sod the famous.

I’ve thought this way for some time now. The outpouring of public grief (not necessarily here) when a famous person passes feels odd. Not a dig at anyone, just my opinion.

I’ve thought this way for some time now. The outpouring of public grief (not necessarily here) when a famous person passes feels odd. Not a dig at anyone, just my opinion.
I guess it’s down to more people knowing about those who are famous than those who know Auntie Betty. We naturally grieve over those we know, and grieving generally tends to be shared with those others who “knew” the same person.

Hi,
I don’t grieve over famous celebrities or sports people who die.
I just thank my lucky stars that it was them and not me on that particular day!
No harm in recognising them - especially ones that gave us some sort of entertainment or pleasure in their heyday.
Cheers
Steve

Bad day for any cnut passing away. Sod the famous.

Aye, but when you read about people living in severe pain for four years,

such as Stirling Moss after he fell down his lift shaft in 2016,

you have to wonder. I'm lucky enough to know two men who are aged 105, and 100, and that kind of age doesn't impress me much.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom