RIP Peter Green

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

A sad loss. A truly brilliant guitar player and composer. So many classics from this amazing man. A loss that like so many started with drugs.

The wife has just told me that , another great player gone.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Gary Moore's 'Blues For Greeny' album switched me on to Greeny's music. Before then, I hadn't really paid (pre Rumours) Fleetwood Mac any attention.

Since then, I've formed the view that Greeny at his best was perhaps the best blues guitarist.

So sad that he's gone.
RIP Peter.

You just have to listen to ‘Black Magic Women’ to hear his talent.
RIP, a real loss to music.

So sad to hear this, a potential r and b god ruined by the wrong choice.
I don’t have any hero’s but he came pretty close, RIP Peter.

I believe that your characterisation of his 'wrong choice' is inaccurate, unlike so many of his contemporaries. His drink was spiked with LSD at a party and he was the unwilling victim of the consequences of the cognitive effects. It's a tragedy to himself and a loss to music lovers.

Blues for Greeny Album, and Black Magic Woman. enough said.

I saw the Splinter Group live a few years ago, and to be honest Peter Green didn't contribute much more than the use of his name. The big American guy, same one in the youtube video already posted above, carried the whole performance. Peter Green spent long spells not playing anything at all and when he did, the volume was so low you could barely hear him. At one point he wandered around the stage with a roll up tin making himself a cigarette while the rest of the band played on! Such a shame when you know how good he used to be.

I believe that your characterisation of his 'wrong choice' is inaccurate, unlike so many of his contemporaries. His drink was spiked with LSD at a party and he was the unwilling victim of the consequences of the cognitive effects. It's a tragedy to himself and a loss to music lovers.
Nothing to do with it, look into his life well before any party.

From the BBC Obituary:

"But he had been experimenting with acid and became increasingly irrational. His songs became more harrowing and paranoid . After his bandmates rejected a call to give most of their money to charity, he quit in 1970."

I stand corrected.

I read somewhere that Carlos Santana introduced him to acid.

I read somewhere that Carlos Santana introduced him to acid.
I've not seen that... :(
Whilst Santana had a big hit with Black Magic Woman, I've never been really impressed with his playing. If he did indeed turn Greeny onto acid, he impresses me less.

Whilst Santana had a big hit with Black Magic Woman, I've never been really impressed with his playing. If he did indeed turn Greeny onto acid, he impresses me less.
Acid isn't addictive, however, one bad trip can have ongoing effects, I suspect that Peter Green was always going to suffer with mental problems but no doubt the acid didn't help.

If I was in pain and with a short life expectancy I'd be badgering my 'mate in the know' for a regular supply.

I have completely the opposite opinion of Santana. Just like Greeny did, he plays from his heart, feeling every note. Gary Moore was the same.

Apparently Fleetwood Mac tried LSD in San Francisco during their first US tour — perhaps Green found in the drug escape from the chaotic world around him and he continued to experiment with hallucinogens. It matters not which individual introduced them nor where, Green in particular was too open to seeking ways to be “somewhere else”.

I saw Fleetwood Mac at the Ealing Club before they’d even been to the US and the effects of drugs on Green in particular appeared evident. Or perhaps it was his much later diagnosed schizophrenia already taking effect. But most likely of all was his spirituality taking him to a place most of us could never understand. We’ll never know, but thankfully we’ll forever have his music and the music of those he influenced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom