RIP Princess Diana

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Her "good works" were not entirely selfless.

I saw a programme recently about her and the amount of charities with which she at some time associated herself was amazing.

However, it was pointed out that those that didn't generate the required volume of gushing ("Isn't Diana Wonderful") column inches would be quickly dropped whilst those that provided the best media coverage (walking around in front of the cameras looking fabulous in anti-landmine gear whilst nowhere near any mines or embracing AIDS victims in a foreign hospital) were milked for all they were worth.

She was far too calculating and manipulative for canonization.

I meant Mother Theresa , not Diana .

Mother Teresa was canonized as Saint Teresa of Calcutta in 2016. But controversy surrounded Mother Teresa. Her saintly reputation was gained for aiding Kolkata's poorest of the poor, yet it was undercut by persistent allegations of misuse of funds, poor medical treatments and religious evangelism in the institutions she founded.

The allegations against Mother Teresa aren't massively different from those voiced against Diana in their apparent aim to discredit all that is good.

On 31 August 1997 whilst working in Vanuatu I was in the French Embassy when news came through of Diana's death. My French never really progressed beyond O-level so I struggled to keep up with the fragments of information coming through from different sources. What was obvious everywhere was the shock. Diana was clearly loved worldwide.

I don't know why Channel 5 chose yesterday to screen the "7day" documentary followed by the "Diana" film. Perhaps to avoid the inevitable all channels TV rush at the end of August, or maybe in memory of Charles & Diana's last public engagement together in 1993.:dk:

Mother Teresa was canonized as Saint Teresa of Calcutta in 2016. But controversy surrounded Mother Teresa. Her saintly reputation was gained for aiding Kolkata's poorest of the poor, yet it was undercut by persistent allegations of misuse of funds, poor medical treatments and religious evangelism in the institutions she founded.

The allegations against Mother Teresa aren't massively different from those voiced against Diana in their apparent aim to discredit all that is good.

On 31 August 1997 whilst working in Vanuatu I was in the French Embassy when news came through of Diana's death. My French never really progressed beyond O-level so I struggled to keep up with the fragments of information coming through from different sources. What was obvious everywhere was the shock. Diana was clearly loved worldwide.

I don't know why Channel 5 chose yesterday to screen the "7day" documentary followed by the "Diana" film. Perhaps to avoid the inevitable all channels TV rush at the end of August, or maybe in memory of Charles & Diana's last public engagement together in 1993.:dk:
Indeed. Anyone wanting to read about another side of 'Mother' Teresa should read 'The Missionary Position' by Christopher Hitchens, which is excoriating. The fact such a woman was canonised merely reinforces many people's views of the Catholic church.

Diana - she tried her best with what she had available. Didn't deserve some of the stuff that happened to her (some she chose, others not) but well meaning and not wicked, however vacuous she could on occasion appear

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom