RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Back in the Seventies , I worked in a Design office when the first small "affordable" calculators came out. Think they were Texas Instruments & one of the Designers bought one. They cost about a week's wage & only did basis calcs. I think Sinclairs first calculator which from memory was white & really affordable worked on Reverse Polish logic which was not really user friendly. This is how you used it
For example, to do the operation 3+4, on an RPN calculator we would press 3, ENTER, 4, +. A more common calculator would use 3, +, 4, ENTER (or the equal sign).

An uncle who was an engineer gave me a slide-ruler as a present when I was a child. I did learn how to use it, but never got the chance to put it through its paces - not properly, anyway - the TI-55 pretty much killed it off. I think I may still have it somewhere, in a nice leather case - they were a precision instrument and pretty expensive at that.

During my GCE maths i could only take into the test a slide rule and logs book. Doubt if I could use a slide rule now though but definitely remember RPN calculators.

Yes - some of the early calculators used reverse polish notation.
My brother had a Kovacs (sp?) which also used this 👍🏻👍🏻

RPN was unambiguous.

It meant there was no ambiguity or implicit state with regard to operator precedence or parentheses.

Reactions: Ted
Log books & slide rules in exams for me. Some people used to write the formulas for some exams on the centre bar of the slide rule. Obviously not me:rolleyes:
We had to design gear train layouts for Automation machines using 9 figure logs which took about a week to do. The company invested in an early calculator which cost thousands & reduced the time to about 2-3 days. Nowadays a £20 scientific calculator could probably do it in a day max. Oh happy days:)
A German designer joined the firm & had a "coffee grinder" calculator which was a sophisticated slide rule (pic included) You had to input your figure in the central part, wind the handle then it gave you your answer. His hands just flew around this & he was so fast. He taught some of us how to use it but never to his standardcurta.jpg

During my GCE maths i could only take into the test a slide rule and logs book. Doubt if I could use a slide rule now though but definitely remember RPN calculators.

Same here, but when I did my A levels calculators were allowed (I had the white Sinclair Scientific). I wouldn't have a clue about using a slide rule now - I actually found mine when getting ready to move house recently!

The partial autobiography of writer Nevil Shute was called 'Slide Rule' - he was an aircraft and airship engineer. Working on the R100 airship involved huge numbers of calculations
The stress calculations for each transverse frame required computations by a pair of calculators (people) for two or three months. The simultaneous equation contained up to seven unknown quantities, took about a week to solve, and had to be repeated if the guess on which of eight radial wires were slack was wrong with a different selection of slack wires if one of the wires was not slack. After months of labour filling perhaps fifty foolscap sheets with calculations "the truth stood revealed (and) produced a satisfaction almost amounting to a religious experience".

Back in the Seventies , I worked in a Design office when the first small "affordable" calculators came out. Think they were Texas Instruments & one of the Designers bought one. They cost about a week's wage & only did basis calcs. I think Sinclairs first calculator which from memory was white & really affordable worked on Reverse Polish logic which was not really user friendly. This is how you used it
For example, to do the operation 3+4, on an RPN calculator we would press 3, ENTER, 4, +. A more common calculator would use 3, +, 4, ENTER (or the equal sign).
RPN was also pretty common (standard?) on HP calculators. I had a HP41C (early 80s) which had all sorts of attachments and modules. I Still have a HP17Bii that I purchased in the late 80s and I still use it. I’m so used to RPN that I prefer to use it when I can.

Hidden Figures great movie.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom