RIP Sir Sean Connery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I enjoyed most of his performances but it is fair to say that he did not generally adopt other accents.

Indeed - it definitely adds to the strangeness of Marnie.

Highlander was odd as well - with Christopher Lambert doing is strange continental highlander bit while Sean Connery got the Spanish / Egyptian role. They might have been better dubbing each other.

Weird thread.
A cinema icon and an acting legend has died and there’s a couple of members arguing about his acting abilities.

I don't think you're witnessing an argument.

Just some discussion and observation - and even a bit of fondness.

RIP.
Just watched The Rock the other day and I was thinking haven't heard any news of him in a while.

I once stayed in the Presidential Suite of the Intercontinental in San Francisco, apparently Mr Connery had stayed there a bit before me.
Used the hotel limo driver and when the driver heard I came from Scotland he asked me if I knew Mr Connery. :)

The end of an era for many of us. RIP Sir Sean. Always the same in every film he played ... and none of us ever minded.

My own favourite ..... Highlander, playing a Spanish nobleman ... while Christopher Lambert played a Scotsman. Shurely shome mishtake.

Also, a close second ... Hunt for Red October.

Also check our "Hell Drivers" .... he is listed as No. 12 in the cast. Bit of a crap film, but he is opposite Stanley Baker and Patrick McGoohan.

I was so shocked to hear of the death of the original James Bond, I nearly had a coronary........Sean Cononary.
Great actor who will be missed. RIP

Loved seeing him as Bond when I was a kid but for some reason his role as Indie’s father in The Last Crusade was for me one of his best. Great chemistry between the two injected with a good dose of humour.

Loved seeing him as Bond when I was a kid but for some reason his role as Indie’s father in The Last Crusade was for me one of his best. Great chemistry between the two injected with a good dose of humour.

Same here... Even though Roger Moore was the current Bond of the day... I still think Connery was by far the best Bond.

The role could have been created for Connery rather than the other way around.

The role could have been created for Connery rather than the other way around.

The character evolved and adapted around Sean Connery.

ISTR that the Scottish - Swiss heritage came about in print after Sean Connery stamped his presence on the role.

A film where he was overshadowed by an auto-gyro.:)
Little Nellie got a hot reception. Four big shots made improper advances towards her, but she defended her honour with great success :cool:

I think even Sir Roger Moore is on record as stating that Sean Connery was the best ever Bond...

Weird thread.
A cinema icon and an acting legend has died and there’s a couple of members arguing about his acting abilities.
Absolutely no desire or intention to argue, we are merely discussing our own interpretation of an actor's career.

Agreed. I think this was a great film. And SC was one of the stars of the movie. His Bond films were a little before my time, i grew up with RM as bond. But SC was a legend.

The character evolved and adapted around Sean Connery.

ISTR that the Scottish - Swiss heritage came about in print after Sean Connery stamped his presence on the role.

Yes, Fleming rewrote the backstory to do just that.

I checked the Channel Listing last night and just done the same again, I'm really surprised there was not one of his movies on as a tribute but perhaps that is all simply down to the modern Copyright situation.

Discovering Sean Connery on Sky Arts though.

My current favourite is the title of the thread started by LK on MBOA when the news broke - it was/is "Resht In Peasch"

To me he is the best Bond ever, even though Craig is good, and as Indy's Dad he was excellent - as well as in Hunt For Red October. RIP Sir Sean, we will miss you.

I remember Bruce Forsyth being interviewed once, and he was saying how when he first started hosting Sunday Night at the London Palladium, he wasn't well known. After one of the first shows, he left for a night out with some friends, I think Michael Caine was one, one other and Sean Connery. On getting in the taxi, Sean Connery sat with his back to the driver. The conversation went something like "Have you gents been to show at the Palladium tonight?". Brucie replied "Actually, I hosted it." After looking in the mirror the driver replied "Oh yeah, and I'm James Bond!" Then he got a little tap on the shoulder..."Actually, I'm James Bond."

Wouldn't you just love to have been in the back with them? I'd love to find that interview, as Brucie told it so much better.

RIP Sir Sean.

I don't think he had much acting ability but was still one of the greatest actors of his generation. In my mind charisma and presence are worth so much more than classical ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom