RIP Steve Jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blaser24nig

Car
Stunning SL350
Steve jobs dead....

Just heard this news and even though I have never met him but have read a lot about him and what a wonderful human being, just a shame that despite all the billions, he still couldn't be saved...

MY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE...

Just as kids of the 20th century learned about Trevithick, Watt, Stevenson, Hargreaves, Crompton and Arkwright, kids of the 21st century will learn about Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak Bill Gates and Tim Berners-Lee. He was that important. :cool: At a personal level I like to remember him as the guy who saved PIXAR. :thumb:

President Obama's tribute:-

Steve was among the greatest of American innovators – brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.
By building one of the planet’s most successful companies from his garage, he exemplified the spirit of American ingenuity. By making computers personal and putting the internet in our pockets, he made the information revolution not only accessible, but intuitive and fun. And by turning his talents to storytelling, he has brought joy to millions of children and grownups alike. Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last. Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.
The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented.

Last edited:
This is one of the founders of a company that created a computer operating system and then charged you for the fonts you needed to use in it!! A money grabbing ethos carried through from charging for music and then apps.
In one of his acclaimed speeches, he talks of how he would rather be remembered for doing the right thing rather than being the richest guy in the cemetery. Well now he is.

If he hadn't been so greedy and tight fisted he might have contributed enough to cancer research that a cure be found to save not only his life, but that would benefit the whole of mankind.
But I guess he couldn't figure out a way to charge people for it.

Even so he was a clever guy and great engineer and he did inspired a great many others. I will respect him for that.

^ ...till they got wise, dumped their proprietary OS and bought a UNIX clone.....

:eek:

RIP all the same

This is one of the founders of a company that created a computer operating system and then charged you for the fonts you needed to use in it!! A money grabbing ethos carried through from charging for music and then apps.
In one of his acclaimed speeches, he talks of how he would rather be remembered for doing the right thing rather than being the richest guy in the cemetery. Well now he is.

If he hadn't been so greedy and tight fisted he might have contributed enough to cancer research that a cure be found to save not only his life, but that would benefit the whole of mankind.

Even so he was a clever guy and great engineer and he did inspired a great many others. I will respect him for that.

That's a bit of venom that sounds like envy rather than genuine criticism. The man single handedly brought Apple back to profit and did bring some revolutionary products.

Now you blame the man for making money from his own capabilities and in the process developing technology. What did you expect him do? How much of your personal fortune do you give to Cancer Research, Red Ribbon et al?

His contribution to mankind was much bigger than yours I suspect and sometimes when a man dies if you have nothing good to say better say nothing at all.

P.S. This comes from someone that loathes the closed Apple ecosystem and litigation processes they have started.

Regardless of what he did in computing, a husband and father has died at a young age, those who loved him will feel that loss, not the businessman. Sorrow in bereavement is common to all of us and my sympathy is with his family and friends.

wow wow wow - As my mother always say, wonders shall never end. This very important guy just died and instead of paying tributes to him for his contribution to society, you want to bring out his failings (which I doubt is true anyway). Truly shocking...

Steve Jobs

sad news. i have only started appreciating his revolutionary way of going about our lives.

heres to a new generation of apple products and hopefully his family can get peace knowing he was one of the most respectful members of our world. He changed our last 10 years and im sure the next 10 will have his markings all over it!

Could your user name be any more ironic?

The man isn't even buried and you show venom for someone that revolutionised the way we listen to music, computers and created one of the most iconic brands in history.

Then you blame him for dying of cancer?

Are those your own brains or are you breaking them in for an idiot?

"Writing for the New York Times, Andrew Sorkin was puzzled that he couldn’t find any evidence that Steve Jobs, Apple’s founder, had given away any part of his significant $8.3 billion personal wealth. What he did find is that when Jobs returned to his old company in 1997, he canceled Apple’s philanthropic programs and they have remained dormant ever since."

?

^^ couldn't have said it any better, thanks for that. It just beats my imagination why anyone would do something like that but anyway lets not give him/her any attention and instead pay tribute to the man STEVE JOBS...

"Each ... is a person who served his fellow man by producing products and services that made life easier. What else do they owe? They’ve already given".

someone that revolutionised the way we listen to music, computers and created one of the most iconic brands in history.

Hmmm...I think there would be some argument over that, depending on your definitions. There were MP3 players before the iPod, smartphones before the iPhone etc.

What they DID do is gather a lot of existing ideas together, and package them with some very clever marketing and branding to make sure they ended up being the biggest and most pervasive.

And for that, you cannot fault the man.

Hmmm...I think there would be some argument over that, depending on your definitions. There were MP3 players before the iPod, smartphones before the iPhone etc.

What they DID do is gather a lot of existing ideas together, and package them with some very clever marketing and branding to make sure they ended up being the biggest and most pervasive.
I'm not necessarily on about it from a technical point of view (I have little interest in computer geekery things, I just like my technology to be excellent) I would liken them to Hoover which, just like Apple with the iPod, the brand name became the default name for all similar devices.

I'm not necessarily on about it from a technical point of view (I have little interest in computer geekery things, I just like my technology to be excellent) I would liken them to Hoover which, just like Apple with the iPod, the brand name became the default name for all similar devices.

In which case, IME at least, they aren't quite there in that respect. Apple products are iconic without doubt, but most of the people I know (whether geek or non-geek) would refer to similar devices as an MP3 player, not an iPod.

Perhaps this is a sign of the times though, where the same brand marketing mentioned above is so strong that it brings with it a need to protect the name as IP. As a result, you're not *allowed* to call it an iWhatever if it isn't an Apple product, and so the Hoover reference is no longer possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom