RIP Stirling Moss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
RIP Stirling

Reactions: 219
I met him over 30 years ago,he was old school,very polite,with the odd old boy thrown in,I asked him had he ever gone into a corner too fast,he laughed and said he always tried to leave a safety margin,but yes there were times when he went for it,he then said I know what you next question will be did I overdo it with my two accidents and the answer is it was mechanical failure both times,he was a great driver and a very nice man RIP.

I do hope that Mercedes-Benz , in recognition of their great Ambassador, are flying flags at half mast around the world .

Perhaps his greatest triumph was winning the Mille Miglia in 1955. He bridged the gap between the old road races and the F1 circuit races- between the dilettante and professional racing driver.
Not for him the Armco barrier, the runoff area, the gravel trap, the escape road- just walls ,ditches,trees and other unyielding objects perilously close to the road/track. A racing legend RIP

Agree grober. I remember seeing the race on movie news and DSJ filed one of the greatest race reports in Motor sport.
I don't watch F1, too much like a video game.

It's when you read of the average speeds he achieved on the roads that blow your mind. The Mercedes Benz hew was driving was cutting edge at the time , but they look like deathtraps compared to modern race cars.

A true legend

R.I.P

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Moss vs Hamilton

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The quote about Sir Sterling I like most was "the greatest driver never to win a world Chamionship". I'm sure he'll be remembered long after modern multiple-championship winning drivers are forgotten.

And another insightful quote from himself "it's the second wag of the tail that gets you!"... how true.

It's when you read of the average speeds he achieved on the roads that blow your mind. The Mercedes Benz hew was driving was cutting edge at the time , but they look like deathtraps compared to modern race cars.

A true legend

R.I.P

The roads were not closed during the race, normal traffic to watch out for.
DSJ was the pioneer of today’s rally navigator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom