Road Angel or similar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickjonesn4

Car
E55K AMG Wagon, Porsche 993 C2S, Polestar 2
Hi All

Has anyone used Road Angel and does it offer any real advantages over having TomTom with the speed camera locations?

Has anyone used the Snooper iRadar as an alternative?

Would love to get something that dooes speed camera database and radar/laser detection combined.

Any input much appreciated

No point in having laser detection, if you detect a laser hit you are already nicked so pointless. A good camera data base such as Pocket GPS World is the best out there as to what device you run it on thats down to personal choice. I run their own app on my samsung Phone, works for me :thumb:

Thanks I have a samsung too - will look into that

does Pocket GPS world have any advantage over Tom Tom

Since you ask specifically (and I hear the arguments for a phone based system) I had a Talex in the last car and have a Cheetah c150 in this one.
Both are hard-wired into the ignition and live above the RVM and I download to them about once a month from a subscription database.

I like the dedicated warnings they give accompanied by visuals of the speed I should be doing :eek:.

Do phone systems give locations of all possible mobile sites :dk: and warn of you overspeeding through SPECS areas?

Yes gives you your actual average speed through specs cameras and warns of over speed over speed warnings can be set for any pre set amount over the limit

I actually had a talex before using this and it was very good but continually in and out of 4 cars the phone based solution works better for me

I have had a road angel for the last 5 years.

Im on my third one now the Gem+ , only had it a few weeks so will let you know what its like.

the previous "connected" model was good but even when hard wired the battery used to die.

negative is the subscription

Have set up the app will feedback.

Surprised it's free.

Have set up the app will feedback.

Surprised it's free.

Please note how much data usage is involved when in use. I would worry that it might be more than I have on my bundle :)

I have had three Road Angels, the latest one a disappointment in build quality. Previous Connected was very good but alas now discontinued, probably too expensive to manufacturer. I am presently using a Snooper which incorporates a sat nav and dash camera as well as a superb current/ permitted speed display. Not as accurate as the information provided by Comand in my 350e. Camera location alerts is good but not as good as RA, which provides information to TomTom, I think it is.

Sure. I have 15 gb on my contract so should be okay.

Please note how much data usage is involved when in use. I would worry that it might be more than I have on my bundle :)

approx 4 downloads a month measured in Kb not even Mb so not going to eat into any data plan

approx 4 downloads a month measured in Kb not even Mb so not going to eat into any data plan

Thank you.
Have to say I was thinking about how the RA operates, downloading every two minutes or so, and erroneously applying that to the device you use.

No point in having laser detection, if you detect a laser hit you are already nicked so pointless.

Agreed.

In my younger days, I managed to accumulate 9 points and was on the verge of losing my license (deservedly I know). I purchaseda RA and it saved my license. It also helped to improve my driving as I did not have to keep looking down at my speedo. I then purchased the RA Professional Connected which is a much better piece of kit and was updated with live data and gave the speed of the road. Was a bit pricey at the time but well worth it

Have a look on ebay and search for inforad, either the rechargeable k series which are the size of a clipper cigarette lighter and attach to inside of windscreen or the others which sit on top of the dashboard and plug into the cigarette lighter socket, all very good with free lifetime updates, I have got both versions and if you don't mind one on top of dashboard (black square variety with 3 led lights) these can be had from between a couple of quid up to max 15 or the rechargeable variety are around 20 quid all from ebay, used to be sold through halfords

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom