Road Angel via USB2.0/serial adaptor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
I've started having problems updating my Road Angel. :mad:

I realise the product does not officially support USB 2.0 but heard that it would do minor updates via this interface. The initial update was done via a PC with a serial port and I have done follow-up updates with my laptop via USB2.0 without any grief. I last synchronised about 4 weeks back and all worked perfectly. However, I've tried today and repeatedly got the following error...
Error 21002 occured:
Application-defined or object-defined error

Is there any way to get this working via USB2.0 again, or am I now going to have to invest in a stand alone modem? Also because the download crashes out at approx 70% total progress, will my RA still work in the meantime until the problem is resolved? Anyone out there that uses their RA via USB know any tweaks/hints or tips so I can get mine synchronising again?

TIA,

S.

Last edited:
Hi

Have you tried dropping it down from USB2.0 to USB 1.1 with mini hub unit. Very little cost and easy to test.

Craig

Originally posted by craigyb
Hi

Have you tried dropping it down from USB2.0 to USB 1.1 with mini hub unit. Very little cost and easy to test.

Craig
Thanks for the idea!! I'll give it a try. :D

S.

This is weird... after 5 days of unsuccessfully trying to update the RA, today it worked 1st time, without the slightest hint of a hiccup.
confused.gif
Trouble is, I hadn't changed anything or done anything different today from when it first started playing up at the weekend
confused.gif

Oh well, at least it's working again
grin.gif
I just wish I knew what was causing the problem in the first place.

BTW Craig, on further inspection my USB to serial adapter is USB1.1, so I didn't try the hub thing as it's already dropped to 1.1 but thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

S.

Last edited:
had the same problem ands forced blackspot to supply modem free of charge as they made a meal of calling me back with advice when I started suffering problems with downloads via usb...

now the modem doesn't work, have to wait until i am next working from home before I troubleshoot the modem issue

really the cheapest part of these setups is developing the firmware/software etc - the expensive painful part is the R&D/manufacture/distribution and marketing of the physical units, blackspot are seriously letting themselves down because of ropey/dated method of getting an update into the gps unit.

i would not buy a road angel if i knew all this before i purchased

similarly if a manage to bag a ticket before the unit is up and running, i will start a serious net rant of this product

oh by the way, when the product works, it works beautifully

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom