Road angel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gazzdid

Car
C200 kompressor sports coupe
Hi all
What is the general consensus on the road angel gps/laser detectors?? Do they work? Does police kit still use laser? Surely they have developed their kit to counter these things by now?
Thinking of getting one but wondering if its a waste of money?
And yes i am aware the best thing is to watch my speed blah blah
Thanks
Gazz

Hi Gaz

The Road Angel will only be good for GPS Fixed cameras & hotspots tbh .
For Laser & Radar they are pretty much useless & not going to give you the advance alert that your expecting .

Law enforcement are trained to shoot at flat ( 90 degree angle ) areas of your car to get the best readings & avoid the windscreen area where your Road Angel would be mounted with a dinky add-on laser/radar sensor.

The front Bumper , grill , lights area is the primary aim to get that nice mph reading.

Ah ok maybe not worth spending the money on then. Suppose even if it picks it up, by the time its beeped and youve slowed down theyve got you anyway? Suppose its good for fixed locations but then most decent sat nav maps have that info anyway
Cheers ash!
Gazz

The best thing to do is to watch your speed.

I think you'll find people using these type of devices are actually 'watching' their speed more than others.

I've never been bothered about these gadgets. Fixed cameras are blatantly obvious and you'll generally find everyone in front of you will slow you enough for them. Elsewhere eg motorways, just watch the road ahead carefully, look out for unmarked cars (BMW etc) and you'll be fine. Works for me and I have a clean licence and typically never get overtaken.

I have a RoadPilot Microgo,it has saved me a few times where cameras are hidden around bends. I find these types of detectors to be a valuable driving aid especially if you drive a lot on unfamiliar roads.

Pocket gps world app on iPhone best database there is for a fraction of the price of road angel and others

Pocket gps world app on iPhone best database there is for a fraction of the price of road angel and others
I am testing CameraAlert app on my android phone at the moment, it uses the Pocket GPS Worild database. I am also testing RoadPilot Mobile app for android, whichh only costs £9.95 a year for updates but not many android phones are supported.

......not sure I see the point of these....is Speed camera spotting similar to train spotting or even less exciting ???:confused:

......not sure I see the point of these....is Speed camera spotting similar to train spotting or even less exciting ???:confused:
Get caught slightly over the speed limit and you will see the point. Drive like Miss Daisy and you will be fine.

The main point is getting advance warning that you are approaching an accident blackspot before you become a statistic.

the road angel connected model used to be able to take a external sensor, so you could mount it in the grill\bumper area and wire it up to the device.

David how did you get on testing the apps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom