Road bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another cyclist here. My first serious sport as a kid. Didn't ride a bike for 20 years after two of my best mates we killed on their bikes. Now technically a vet (veteran, which i think it's still 40+) I get on the bike now and again for the of commute and little, fun rides. Mine's a half-grand Vitus Razor VR from CR - stock photo...
48753afec874c48cd2adc5f691c739bf.jpg
Its such a great feeling to be breezing along country roads with great views, eh?

My advice for retuning riders is safety first. And if you're wanting to take risks, do it when there are zero vehicles around. Me too, I've came off enough times on training rides in the past and I know my body won't be as forgiving these days.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Safety first.... pedals....

To ask a difficult question - are you starting with ordinary pedals, or jumping straight to clip less?

I would argue simple start, and go for the 10% speed gain later, when starting to commute for the first time after x years. But others may disagree.

maxresdefault.jpg

Good question re the pedals because I had a chat with a sales guy in Evans Notting Hill branch about the very same thing.

When I gain a bit more experience I will use clips but until then I'm going to use toe straps. It also means I can buy a pair of 'designated' cycling Reeboks!

I suggest going with large platform clip pedals to start with. You'll eventually want clip pedals - much more efficient pedaling and puts muscle on your hamstring areas as well as quads, balancing the leg strength and muscle.

Having never had clipless before (but used to the old fashioned toe-clips) I bought two pairs of the same mountain bike clipless pedals as they are big enough to use without cleated shoes. The idea was when I got used to the bike, I had bought one pair of cleated shoes to use on both my road and mountain bike - meant I didn't have to change pedals once I'd got used to them.

In London traffic.....

I suggest going with large platform clip pedals to start with. You'll eventually want clip pedals - much more efficient pedaling and puts muscle on your hamstring areas as well as quads, balancing the leg strength and muscle.

Having never had clipless before (but used to the old fashioned toe-clips) I bought two pairs of the same mountain bike clipless pedals as they are big enough to use without cleated shoes. The idea was when I got used to the bike, I had bought one pair of cleated shoes to use on both my road and mountain bike - meant I didn't have to change pedals once I'd got used to them.

All agreed that clipless deliver 10% more power, but are they the right choice for someone doing a 15 - 30 minute commute in tight London traffic for the first time? One unexpected emergency stop (the prat in the white van), or even just a pothole, and you're on the deck, with traffic all around you.

I've plotted out a good route to work. Mill Hill Broadway to Cricklewood Thameslink and then 3.9 miles on the bike to the BBC Television centre at Wood Lane. The end goal is ride the entire journey. A total of 9 and bit miles.

I drive that most mornings. If I see a fifty-odd year old bloke pushing a spanking new bike over the next couple of weeks we can sling your bike in the back and I'll give you a lift. I could even drop you off for a restorative fry-up.

Spin_bowler said:
I drive that most mornings. If I see a fifty-odd year old bloke pushing a spanking new bike over the next couple of weeks we can sling your bike in the back and I'll give you a lift. I could even drop you off for a restorative fry-up.
50 year old not 50 odd!! Fry ups are most welcome!

Another Mamil here. You will soon progress to clip in pedals but probably not a good idea for the commute. I started by using some with a clip on one side and flat on the other until confident enough to use clips all the time. The upgrade route will certainly beckon. I have just upgraded to a Sarto Seta. A lovely fast road bike but way way beyond my ability level. Now trying to get fit for the Novecolli in May

All agreed that clipless deliver 10% more power, but are they the right choice for someone doing a 15 - 30 minute commute in tight London traffic for the first time? One unexpected emergency stop (the prat in the white van), or even just a pothole, and you're on the deck, with traffic all around you.
Totally agree! I had meant to get across: use the wide MTB clip pedals with non-clip shoes, then, when ready experiment with clip shoes.

And when you do try your bike with clip shoes, best find a quiet road and things to hold onto like lampposts, gateposts or post boxes as get used to twisting your way out of them!

Quality. When my wife quietly mentioned that she wouldn't mind buying a bike a tandem was my suggestion.

My wife's suggestion isn't printable!

I have a Claude Butler MB and hardly ever use it :D been in my shed for years. Only get it out wash the dust off it :eek:

I need get rid as I never use it anymore fit 29" leg if anyone's intrested

Cost me 500nicka and it's still like new was looking at getting 200
I live in the NW
It's got cat eye lights and a trip computer fitted as well
Probably needs new pads as a precaution but otherwise a sound bike

A250 Bennyboy said:
Cost me 500nicka and it's still like new was looking at getting 200 I live in the NW It's got cat eye lights and a trip computer fitted as well Probably needs new pads as a precaution but otherwise a sound bike
What about size. I am 5'11.

All round adjustable suspension fronts lockable for road use, 27 gears disc's front and back
Whieght I'm guessing about 20kg
Can't remember the frame size now, not sure how you messurier the frame?
I'm 5"7 and it's got a bit more adjustment
Here's a couple of pic's hope you can work size out

Strava app and web page are good for plotting and recording routes.

Tip: pump the tyres very hard ~100psi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom