Road pricing petition - MPs to ignore!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
Sky news were reviewing the papers and lead with 1 million people signing that Downing Street petition against road pricing. I haven't read the article, but MPs are apparently pushing ahead with the plans ANYWAY :mad:

Cameron - if you want in, give the motorist a break. Labour are SO finished at the next election.

How can anyone have an opinion on this - nobody (probably not even the Government) know what the overall road pricing plan will look like?

If it's on average revenue neutral then maybe it's a good idea.

How can anyone have an opinion on this - nobody (probably not even the Government) know what the overall road pricing plan will look like?

I'll wager that no-matter what it looks like, road taxes will go up... Willing to take on that wager?

Sky news were reviewing the papers and lead with 1 million people signing that Downing Street petition against road pricing. I haven't read the article, but MPs are apparently pushing ahead with the plans ANYWAY :mad:

Cameron - if you want in, give the motorist a break. Labour are SO finished at the next election.

hello mr naïve! ;)

did you really think the government would take note? 2 million people gathered in london on a stop the war campaign (slightly more important than road tax)... see how Blair stuck two fingers up at us.

Well it didn't come as a major surprise, but I reckon government are signing their power away! :bannana:

Its a win win situation for us :) Ignore it, and its yet another nail in their coffin.

It'll never happen anyway, they just don't have the ability to create such a system.

Its a win win situation for us :) Ignore it, and its yet another nail in their coffin.

It'll never happen anyway, they just don't have the ability to create such a system.

They have had the ability to create such systems for years, what makes you think that they dont:confused:
They have satellites, they have transducers/transmitters, they have cameras and they have all that extra revenue to look forward to. It WILL happen.

It cannot be "revenue neutral" - why? - because we have to pay the billions to install it and then for the extra hordes of civil shiny bums to run it.

Modelled on the Congestion Charge, that well-known revenue neutral pilot scheme.

It could go private I suppose, like the M6 toll which has price rises every 14 seconds and is now so expensive that the (Polish) lorries have gone back to clogging up the M6 leaving the toll road to be used by reps on expenses.

Don't expect the extra tax to go on public transport either - we will remain bottom of the heap there as well. I would love to go to my customers by car - its the whole day to get there and another to get back that makes it a tad inconvenient.

Technology may be there, but is it REALLY fail safe? The number of times my sat nav has a 'moment' where it loses signal or is 'busy re-routing' my journey. The £200 box in each car is bound to be mass produced plop.

Conversation with the authorities in the future: "but i only travelled about 5 miles".. "our records show 50...you'll have to appeal with form E435C238U(a) ...available at your 'local' post office...which you'll have to drive to now.

It cannot be "revenue neutral" - why? - because we have to pay the billions to install it and then for the extra hordes of civil shiny bums to run it.

Modelled on the Congestion Charge, that well-known revenue neutral pilot scheme.

It could go private I suppose, like the M6 toll which has price rises every 14 seconds and is now so expensive that the (Polish) lorries have gone back to clogging up the M6 leaving the toll road to be used by reps on expenses.
I'm sure it will be privately run and it certainly is galling that private companies (probably foreign ones) will profit massively from the scheme (even if never gets off the ground there will be enormous amounts paid to consultants). I'm also sure that the complaint help desk will be in India.

I'm not sure the M6 toll prices have gone up quite as fast as you suggest? I resisted using it for a while (even though I can claim it back) but the benefit at peak times is huge. I don't why anyone uses it off peak - I drove through B'ham on the M6 yesterday (Sunday) and it was fine, yet a fair number of cars used the toll road.

I'm sure it will be privately run and it certainly is galling that private companies (probably foreign ones) will profit massively from the scheme (even if never gets off the ground there will be enormous amounts paid to consultants). I'm also sure that the complaint help desk will be in India.

Do you by any chance read the Daily Mail/Express?

So around 25million plus are either in favour of it or couldn't care less. That is why the government may ignore this.

And who would vote for a pot smokin ex hippie anyway:D :D The guy has never lived in the real world, probably has more money than all the members on this forum put together:( :D

Ooh I think it will be different this time. 1million people were right about the carnage that Iraq has become. 1million motorists is an even bigger proportion... hard to ignore.

Revenue neutral?? Dream on. Coming soon......

"..we do not need to wait for a national scheme to begin accruing some of the benefits...."

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/roadpricing/multitifbuscase?version=2

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/roadpricing/

There is an entire industry being built around round pricing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom