Road re-surfacing with stone chippings, what a nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reggie musson

Car
CLK 2.7 Diesel
:ban:We are having many of our roads re-surfaced here in Northamptonshire with that nasty dressing of loose grey like stone chippings, which means I am forced to drive on this horrible surface for about 5 miles in each direction each day.

I washed my lovely CLK this week and noticed the lower part of the door sills peppered with black tar, I have mud flaps all round and my car is black so it could be a lot worse and I will get some tar remover when I can get to Halfords and reduce our council tax to recover the cost.

The speed limit is the usual 20mph due to the risk of skidding which is almost impossible as other drivers will try and overtake you, so I do 25 - 30mph.

Anyone out there had the same problems with this type of road
re-surfaceing, what about all you white car owners.

Reggie

Same with my local roads. My experience is that after a week the problem significantly reduces. Most of the stones then have either stuck to the road or been thrown to the side.

I'm sure the 20 mph limit has nothing to do with the risk of skidding. There are that many flying stones that cracked windscreens are the issue. Putting a speed limit in force will stop all claims agains the highways dept for leaving the road covered in windscreen smashing material.

They are doing the same around here at the moment, its a bit of a nightmare and I'm avoiding the effected roads at all costs, I've had a full wheel refurbishment and a brand new windscreen fitted!

Anyone out there had the same problems with this type of road
re-surfaceing, what about all you white car owners.

Reggie

i used to have a white car, so I'm in the habit of just doing a 3-point turn and finding a different route. .

It used to be even worse before the use of a vacuum roadbrush became mandatory on surface dressing jobs about 5 years ago.

The chippings used to form 'drifts' and there has also been at least one fatality caused by loose chippings sending a car out of control on a bend - it is like ice, only worse!

What vacuum road brush? (rofl)

They've just completely resurfaced a road near here before fixing the drainage problem that is now sending a bourne across the road on the Z-bend and down the hill to the stream, it is supposed to be in its culvert. It's an old lane that follows a stream bed uphill.

Now we have loose chippings too. Nearly back to the old surface though. Soon.

Brilliant planning. Can't wait until it freezes on that steep bend ...

What about the mindless lorry drivers passing in the opposite direction at 50mph who don`t give a f**k about anyones cars or safety for that matter.:dk:
Reggie

They are doing the same around here at the moment, its a bit of a nightmare and I'm avoiding the effected roads at all costs, I've had a full wheel refurbishment and a brand new windscreen fitted!

+1 it is a flippin pain it is the idiots who don't care about their cars who do most damage to those around them. :wallbash:

What about all the flying stones from them speeding trucks pinging off the windscreen... B@@@@@ds !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom