Road Tax Cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter103

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 350 Bluetec Prem+Coupe.
Just had reminder in post for another year almost fell off my bar stool, £165, has it gone up again? What happened to zero 6 conforming low emission diesels? it went up a little bit last year, now for the privilege of driving over, or zigzaging around potholes on unswept and unsalted roads they ask for more, 'Yes Oliver, more',No! No more Oliver." !!
Let that be an end to it. 🥃

Last edited:
Why not just stick it on direct debit and forget about it? :)

important to remember that our European friends pay waaaaaaaaaaaay more each year and used cars cost way more on continent. Even top band £565 is nothing compared to many European countries.

Eddy77, Ireland I believe over a grand££££

Whole of western world are in same boat, covid has to be paid for and there will be a tax on electric cars some time in the future.
There is already a tax on electric cars, the only people who are not paying it is the people who buy them. The government call it a grant , I call it someone else's tax pound.

I think it’s the Netherlands or perhaps one of the Nordics where the equivalent of road tax runs to thousands per annum on anything other than a very frugal vehicle.

Why not just stick it on direct debit and forget about it? :)
Or spend an hour or two online and shop around on the comparison sites. 😁😁😁

Mine was £20 in 2020 that is why I paid more for a March 17 plate than an April onwards one as the road Tax amount is more since April 2017 and the over £40k from new price tag hits you too after 1st yr from new till 5 yrs old iirc. All if new since April 2017. Think mine stays £20 all the time 😷🤞👍 What you all driving to justify the rise ?

(Driving not only a Mercedes, but a 3 litre v6 .. ha ha . Twisting about a £165 tax bill.)
So "One For The Road"you enjoy paying taxes, it doesn't bother you that we, ordinary working or retired people like us, are 9th highest from 30 countries reviewed last year. I'm not twisting about the Paltry sum of £165
I'm certainly not as your cartoon suggests mean, or tight in fact quite the opposite, I've worked and paid my taxes fifty years now retired still paying, Do you enjoy having thousands taken from you each year, without your permission and having it spent on things you probably don't agree with ,or indeed are unjust? As said £165 is not much but it's all the other taxes vat, CGT, higher rates, fuel tax etc the list is almost beyond comprehension. And further when the benefits for most tax payers are almost non existent why be happy for the gov. to keep sucking it up? Off to bed 🛌 now 😊 Rant Over.💤

Eddy77, Ireland I believe over a grand££££

Irish road tax is crippling. The top band (anything over 225g CO2) is nearly €2500 a year. Pre 2008 is based on engine size, your average 1.6 hatchback goes for €500 a year.

No wonder they have so many older cars there, if it's over 30 years old it's €56 a year. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom