Road Tax Hassles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bloodmoon

Car
C270 CDI Avantgarde
Just paid for my £165 piece o' paper. What a performance!

After about 45 mins queueing, I presented all the required documentation to the teller. First off, she closely examined my V5 stub (Only sent away for it 2 weeks ago) for a few seconds, only to tell me that she couldn't accept it. I said "Of course you can accept it, my V5 document has been applied for. This is the proof of ownership!"

After asking the person next to her, she finally accepted it, although she became slightly pedantic at the fact that I had omitted the word "Auto" from the V10 application form, as the V5 stub read "300CE-24 AUTO COUPE".

Next came the insurance certificate, which was closely examined, and after much tutting, she accepted that.

MOT was closely examined, and examined again, and examined again. This was thankfully accepted without much fuss.

Finally, after a lot of messing around, she told me to pay £165. No problems there.

Cash handed over, I waited patiently for the tax disc. When I received it, it read 05 04 - that is not 12 months from now. I told her this, and she proceeded to count out on her fingers all the way from July to next year.

I still told her that a 12 months tax disc should read 06 04, and after consulting the person next to her again, she finally gave in and re-issued a correct tax disc.

Total time elapsed: 59 minutes.

My advice to anybody renewing their road tax - pay very close attention to what the post office is doing. If I hadn't been paying attention - I would have lost a whole months road tax.

Not amused :(

--
Antony

I'd have thought if it didn't have a tax disk now 05/04 is correct. If you waited until tomorrow it would be 06/04.

If your current tax disk expires on 06/03, then the new one should be 06/04

Well, my current tax disc expires today (30-06-2003), so I assumed a tax disc lasting until 30-06-2004 was 12 months?

Maybe I am in the wrong...oops :p

Hope somebody can clarify this.

--
Antony

We sure seem to be victimized a lot. For example, I heard on breakfast news this morning that there is no tax on airline fuel. I hope I have misheard/misunderstood this.

Another thing that really narcs me are cyclists who seem to think they are above the law when it comes to the rules of the road.

Yesterday, I had to stop at a pelican crossing whilst a cyclist rode over it. Now I was under the impression that one must dismount, walk across the crossing, and mount the cycle again. Or is it just me???

Also, at the same set of lights a different cyclist to my left simply sailed through the red lights as if they didn't exist.

I am not having a go at people who choose to cycle - not at all. It just frustrates me that whenever revenue is needed for improvements/additions to the transport system, the motorist is the first to be targetted.

--

Antony

Originally posted by bloodmoon
We sure seem to be victimized a lot. For example, I heard on breakfast news this morning that there is no tax on airline fuel. I hope I have misheard/misunderstood this.

Another thing that really narcs me are cyclists who seem to think they are above the law when it comes to the rules of the road.

Yesterday, I had to stop at a pelican crossing whilst a cyclist rode over it. Now I was under the impression that one must dismount, walk across the crossing, and mount the cycle again. Or is it just me???

Also, at the same set of lights a different cyclist to my left simply sailed through the red lights as if they didn't exist.

I am not having a go at people who choose to cycle - not at all. It just frustrates me that whenever revenue is needed for improvements/additions to the transport system, the motorist is the first to be targetted.

--

Antony

And they say there is no need for bullbars in the city:devil:

I had road tax woes of a different nature last week.

Some of you know I also have motorcyles. The MOT one one such bike expired two months ago, I meant to sort things out with little or no time off the road but one thing lead to another and now eight weeks have gone by with the bike been stuck in the garage with no MOT or tax for the duration.

I received a letter from the DVLA saying that I had committed an offence by not declaring that I wasnt using the Vehicle. Fine = £25.

Now, had I intended to have the bike stuck in the garage for two month, I may have filled in the SORN document but week after week I keep saying to myself " I must sort out the bike next weekend" and consequently didnt think about declaring that I would be keeping the bike off road.

I guess I'll have to pay the £25 but It makes me sick that I get fined for not telling the DVLA that I'm not using my bike. If they think I am riding with no road tax, then catch me doing it.... its almost a presumption of guilt in my eyes.

Rant Over :(

Originally posted by bloodmoon
Well, my current tax disc expires today (30-06-2003), so I assumed a tax disc lasting until 30-06-2004 was 12 months?

Maybe I am in the wrong...oops :p

Hope somebody can clarify this.

--
Antony

You were correct then. If you didn't have a tax disk at the moment they would have taken it from the beginning of this month, expiring 05/04.

I guess as you didn't have the renewal form they wouldn't know if you currently had a tax or not, which is why they would assume you didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom