road tax question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

my E300D failed its MOT on 29th July. i'm waiting to get it fixed but it may take about a week or so.

tax also rand out end of july. i cant tax it online now as it flags as having no MOT

what do i do? i dont want to declare sorn just for 1 week, but will i end up with problems re not taxing it or declaring sorn?

the car is still insured, if that makes any difference!

thanks - am i worrying over nothing?

Keep it off-road, fix it then tax it. It's only a week or so.

Bet you wish you had taxed it before you tested it ...

Let DVLA know, otherwise you will get fined.

Just go online and declare SORN, takes 2 mins then after MOT just retax in the usual way. Just make sure you don't use it except for going to or from a pre booked MOT test.

Daz

You can't declare a SORN til the fifth day of the month - When to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) : Directgov - Motoring
but if you can't get it done before then do it online, as mentioned it takes five minutes, costs nothing and prevents any potential 'arsiness' from DVLA if there's a gap in their paperwork

cheers!

Last edited:
You're allowed to keep a car off-road and untaxed for up to 14 days to cover situations like this. The DVLA won't start enforcement proceedings within that period.

When did old MOT run out? If that cert is valid can't u tax it at a post office? Just a thought.

Hi

thanks for advice.

MOT ran out the day it was MOT'd as circumstances meant i had to ensure i had a car to use right up to the last minute.

its in the garage tommroow to be fixed and re-MOT'd so hopefully it will be done and re-taxed within a few days so i think i'll leave it for now.

MOT ran out the day it was MOT'd as circumstances meant i had to ensure i had a car to use right up to the last minute.

Why not just take it the month preceding, so if it fails you can carry on driving it.

Yep as Mocas says 14 day rule applies :thumb:

you cant. once it fails, thats it.

That's not correct this is the official response from VOSA on that particular subject.

"An MOT certificate is valid until its expiry date. However if your vehicle fails a test before this date and you do not rectify the defects then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle which is an offence."

So to put this into context if your car fails the MOT due to illegal tyres then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle, you were driving unroadworthy vehicle before the MOT, and you will be driving an unroadworthy vehicle until you get a new tyre. Therefore at anytime if caught you would be subject to a £2500 fine and 3 points per illegal tyre.

However once you get a new tyre your car is roadworthy and the old MOT is still valid until its expiry date, thus you can then drive your car again and get it retested to your timescale, with out worrying about driving without an MOT.

This is a very good reason to book your Mot early and give yourself plenty of time to book a retest if needed.
"

Hi Silver. Love the pics of your 107 on your other post , but been denied access to comment on that thread! Will have to polish mine now:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom