ROAD TRIP.....london to Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merkaholic

Car
Mercedes CLS 320cdi
Good afternoon.

I am thinking of a roadtrip from london to Switzerland. I dont have anything specific in mind in terms of routes etc but a preference would be scenic route but I am open to ideas and any specifics. I would be looking to go in the next few weeks. My main concern is vehicle compliance for EU roads.

My main concern is vehicle compliance for EU roads.
The AA website has up-to-date info for pretty much every country you'd be likely to drive in.

Regarding routes, I suppose the obvious question is how many night stops are you able to make? That will have a huge bearing on what's viable and what isn't. Remember also that snow could make many of the potentially more attractive routes impossible at this time of year.

Good advice from @st13phil.

Don't forget original driving licence and V5c. OK to leave them at home in UK but not elsewhere in Europe. My wife always carries the spare key too.

I know it takes approx 12hrs to Switzerland according to my old friend google. We are planning on leaving at 5am london and drive all the way to Switzerland........2 nights there and travel back on the 3rd day.

In that case you won't be seeing much other than motorways, and motorway service stations.

Both the RAC and AA do kits to ensure you have everything you need in your car for Europe. Make sure you are insured for Europe and you might want to consider breakdown cover.

I am heading over to Switzerland in 3 weeks and as stated earlier it will be mostly motorways. However I will be stopping at Reims to see the old GP circuit and will cut over into Germany at Strasbourg to either cut through or skirt the black Forest.

Once you get the first 3 hours of France out the way it's all good scenery.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I know it takes approx 12hrs to Switzerland according to my old friend google. We are planning on leaving at 5am london and drive all the way to Switzerland........2 nights there and travel back on the 3rd day.

I'm in Geneva for a week in June, reckoning to take 12 hours as well, with an early morning start. But that's only possible with the main motorway way, taking the Eastern route, avoiding Paris.

With only 36 hours in Switzerland, the priority should be to just get there, and enjoy that fabulous country when you get there.

You need your driving licence, insurance, accident reporting form, V5c, GB plate and headlight converters (if needed on a CLS). People will talk about taking a breathalyser and a spare pair of glasses, but it's really not necessary.

Good afternoon.

I am thinking of a roadtrip from london to Switzerland. I dont have anything specific in mind in terms of routes etc but a preference would be scenic route but I am open to ideas and any specifics. I would be looking to go in the next few weeks. My main concern is vehicle compliance for EU roads.
Currently planning reverse route for bringing MoHo back from Italy, now realizing that if you leave motorways, toll routes, autobahns, autostrada's you need to be considering low emissions/green badge requirements, otherwise €80 fines along the way!
May be able to avoid the zones or buy relevant country green permits / badges.
Plus of course, vignettes for Austria and Switzland.
Something you need to consider!

Have you thought about flying? Driving you won’t see much except motorways, and for 3 days I’d say fly.

I really like driving - But, for such a short duration, have you thought about a train journey. - You should get to see some scenery, and not have to concentrate on driving on the other side of the road. And 12 hours of driving each way would be kinda tiring.
London to Paris, and then Paris to Zurich seem to be about 7.5 hours for less than a couple of hundred pounds.
Just a thought. - If it's a stupid one, then feel free to ignore me.

Many thanks for all the advice.........i think its back to the drawing board. Im open to other countries but has to be similar time frame.

OK, so if you're that limited on time you're really looking at France, Belgium, Luxembourg and near Germany. If you're setting off early, then my suggestions would be:
  • Normandy Coast & Landing Beaches (France)
  • Bruges (Belgium)
  • Vianden (Luxembourg)
  • Trier (Germany)
  • Somewhere on the Rhine like Boppard (Germany)
All are reachable in a day with some time to spare so you'll be able to have a nose around on the day you arrive, and they have enough to see in the locale for your "free" day. BTW, look up the Petite Suisse region of Luxembourg, twixt Vianden and Trier. It's small, but very scenic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom