Road trip to Stuttgart - June 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
W140 300SE, W202
Hello all,

Im bringing the W140 to visit the museum in a few weeks - sadly, the last run she will ever make..too many faults etc. I dont have space to keep her anymore. So its a final farewell...

Im heading over with a few friends, were taking the ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg and heading down to Stuttgart.

Im planning to visit the ring, Porsche museum, the Wine road and Route 500-black forrest.
Ive googled a few other museums and place to visit etc.

Ive never done anything like this before.

I see the Rolls Royce museum is down near the Austrian/Swiss border. Ive always wanted to drive down there. I can only imagine the scenery.

The highlight for me will be the mercedes museum & my friends - the Nurburgring..we plan on travelling for 7-10days.
What that in mind, Is there any place I "have to" visit while im there?
Or any advice in general is always appreciated:thumb:

PS. Anyone wishing to travel with us, is more than welcome to join.

That would be a great trip , if I didnt have a little one on the way in August id be up to joining yea .

If you're anywhere near Sinsheim (N of Stuttgart), the Auto & Technik Museum is a fabulous place to visit.

Shorty, thats a pity. Congrats & best of luck with the little one!

Ferry's booked now for the first week of June!!! :)

Have a fairly big wish list of places to visit, so its just a case of sitting down with the lads going & marking them off on a map.
Great recommendation I recieved from a guy at work, "Mont Saint Micheal" in France.
Looks like an amazing place to visit.

Sounds like a great trip! :thumb:

The Rolls-Royce Museum should be somewhere south of Bregenz in Austria.
I marked it on the map as well as the route I would probably take when approaching the lake from the northwest (black forest).
Konstanz is a nice village to have a chilled stopover before continuing driving towards the RR Museum.
If you like airships then the Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen might be worth visiting. After that you could make a stop in Meersburg to have lunch by the lake and enjoy the interesting view (old houses, castle, ...).

karte_bodensee_v21fx66.png

Unfortunately I can't really give you more 'advice', haven't seen that much of my own country yet :eek:

Don't forget to take some pics!
fotografierend_0001.gif

It's a nice run from the Stuttgart area to the Bodensee ... we spent a day in Meersburg a few years back. Went midweek so traffic was light - had the cruise control set to 175 kph :)

There's a Zeppelin museum there although we didn't get time to visit it - there was an airship flying round the lake, giving pleasure flights I guess.

Only negative is that somebody nicked the nice M-B alloy dust caps off the tyre valves while we were parked there :(

The Airship museum sounds great - I never thought of that one.

If im heading as far as the Rolls Museum, I may aswell carry on, and drive the road featured in Goldfinger, pretending im in a DB5 - Furka Pass, Oberwald, Switzerland.

Then head back up along the lake towards Route 500.

EPIC!!!! Sitting here at work & I havent been able to do a tap, thinking about this, lol.

Mrs KE and I will be at the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart on 11th June (on our way down to Italy). Please ensure you leave Stuttgart nice and tidy for us!

I know what you mean about being excited about the trip. Have a good one. :thumb:

Well Run In

Just finished a 2500 km trip, 6 days. First drove from the euro tunnel through france into Turin Italy (a lot of toll crossing) on day 2 drove to stuttgart, through switzerland, Lichtenstien, Austria into Stuttgart. an amazing drive, if you get chance have a day driving through the swiss alps, you are close but watch the speeds. On day 4 drove to Swartzenberg on the East German / Chech border skirting the black forest. Day 5 we drove to Koln fun city, and day 6 drove from there through Holland, Belgium and France back to blighty. Wonderful trip, amazing roads, no hold ups until we arrived back in the UK. Will post some pictures of the trip shortly, got a good one of the speedo on the autobahn, Drive safe and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom