Robbed of £600 worths of petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dragon

Banned
Can you guys please enlighten me with your experience.

I have been alerted by Barclaycard two weeks ago, someone had fraudulently cloned my card and used it to buy petrol around Blackburn, Lancashire and Haslingden while I live in East Anglia. I never even heard of Haslingden, now I know where it is. Today I managed to be able to access my account online after almost two weeks wait to get my id and passcode. To my surprise instead of £120 there were £623 of phantom petrol purchases I didn't even know of. I began to realise crime still does pay by taking advantage in the loop hole that Tesco pay at pump does not use the PIN on chip. Eleven fraudulent transactions were carried out during the two weeks. I was told if I do not make sure my bank account is in credit I will be charged 19.9% interest. What a bloody nuisance? Funny enough when I view my statement it showed £60 in a transaction and these Barclaycard call centre can only see £1 being debited. Not sure what the hell is going on in this current high petrol prices. Surely this is the fault of Tesco the largest supermarket in the country still behind in their chip card reader implementation at Pay at Pump and they still have not removed this feature or install chip card readers.:eek:

Chip and pin instills a false sense of security...

don't get me started...

there is nothing wrong with chip and pin if you follow the rules. used it since 1998 when in europe and it has worked perfect.
problem with barclays is that when the card is used it shows £1 transaction.
Get a proper card that will show you a drop in credit allowance as soon as the account is used and then check your account on line everyday.

there is nothing wrong with chip and pin if you follow the rules. used it since 1998 when in europe and it has worked perfect.
problem with barclays is that when the card is used it shows £1 transaction.
Get a proper card that will show you a drop in credit allowance as soon as the account is used and then check your account on line everyday.

Are you saying that in every transactions we have an excess of £1 even though it had been fraudulently used to pay for the petrol for £60.20?

Last edited:
I had my card details used by someone, no idea how they got them, I suspect a rogue employee from one of the on line stores.

I reported it to my bank as unauthorised payments and the money was replaced within a few days. Funnily enough, most of the transactions were for phone cards from Tesco, along with a few others. Basically, the bank repaid the money to me, and stated that Tesco were the ones who would lose out financially as the responsibility lies with them when accepting a card for payment.

Interestingly, no one from Tesco or the bank were interested in reporting the matter to the police, and I suspect the police would not have shown much interest anyway. It appears not to be a crime to do this anymore?

Russ

Can you guys please enlighten me with your experience.

I have been alerted by Barclaycard two weeks ago, someone had fraudulently cloned my card and used it to buy petrol around Blackburn, Lancashire and Haslingden while I live in East Anglia.
Your card should have been stopped, you refunded and new ones issued as soon as the fraud was detected.

On the chip and pin front - most fraud is through card holder not present transactions and chip and pin doesn't do anything to stop these.

Are you saying that in every transactions we have an excess of £1 even though it had been fraudulently used to pay for the petrol for £60.20?

when i had a barclaycard, whenever i used it and went to check on line, it will take a sum of £1 off the credit.

So if your credit is say £1000. and you spend £50. if you go on line, it will show a credit of £999 and an outstanding balance of £1 for the time it takes the transaction to go through (about 3days).
my present cards do not do that it shows the £50 straight away but takes about 3days for the retailers name to appear,
so you know if your card is being spent, and by how much is being spent.

Last edited:
Your card should have been stopped, you refunded and new ones issued as soon as the fraud was detected.

On the chip and pin front - most fraud is through card holder not present transactions and chip and pin doesn't do anything to stop these.

it was not designed for that. it was designed to eliminate fraud through signatures and stolen wallets/burglaries.
Now if someone steals you wallet and uses it to order stuff, at least there is some traceability to start with at points of delivery

The chip and PIN is safe. It just that someone can copy your card on the magnetic strip. Then they go to Tesco and buy fuel using the Pay at the Pump. You can insert the card and it will allow you to buy petrol because PIN request is not required neither will it needs to read the chip, it just read the magnetic strip. Someone noted this loophole and took advantage of it.

I had my windscreen replaced and the RAC still used the old way of swiping my card over a paper based debit voucher. Funny thing is the fraudulent transaction took place before this. It not something to do with buying petrol at a Shell petrol station several days after.

I hope the CCT camera at the Tesco petrol station at Blackburn and Lancashire got some pictures of this ba?tard.:devil:

Morrisons invole chip and pin at the pump - you have to put in your pin before drawing fuel - much better.

Unfortunately, your bank are very unlikely to report the transactions to the Police (they are the victims of this loss) - despite the fact that if there is a transaction in the last 30 days, the offender and vehicle is very likely to appear on Tescos CCTV.

If the bank do report it, then you can be pretty sure it is because they have identified it as linked to other losses and the total value is much, much higher.

:mad:

Unfortunately, your bank are very unlikely to report the transactions to the Police (they are the victims of this loss) - :mad:

According to my bank ,they are not the victims, as they charge the money back from the retailer who provided the goods or services.

In my case, phone cards were bought at £10 a go, adding up to £70. It was only when they tried to buy electrical items costing hundreds of pounds that Tesco refused to accept the card details. It would seem they check the details for major purchases but let the small payments go through unchecked, thus they are liable to repay the banks for any fraudulent purchases.

Russ

According to my bank ,they are not the victims, as they charge the money back from the retailer who provided the goods or services.

In my case, phone cards were bought at £10 a go, adding up to £70. It was only when they tried to buy electrical items costing hundreds of pounds that Tesco refused to accept the card details. It would seem they check the details for major purchases but let the small payments go through unchecked, thus they are liable to repay the banks for any fraudulent purchases.

Russ

The bank are the victims but they have a civil agreement with the retailer. If the case ever went to Court, the bank would be the complainant and if they report it to the Police, they are recorded as the victims.

As an aside, and I don't expect too much sympathy for petrol retailers, but they still have to pay the tax on fuel stolen when someone drives off without paying - so they get hit for the cost of the fuel and then taxed on income they never got.
Which is poor in anyones book.

IIRC the small print on the bumf that comes with your credit/debit card states that the card remains the property of the issuer, and not the card holder.

Tesco is now installing chip & pin in their petrol stations. The one in Havant near me has had it for a couple of weeks.
When using any card in Tesco petrol stations a restriction of £1 is put on your account as a result of the authorisation enquiry. It is supposed to be removed when the actual transaction goes through (usually 3 days later with Tesco) but sometimes it just sits on your account but doesn't show, i.e you check your balance at an atm it shows £100 as the balance but £99 available to draw.

IIRC the small print on the bumf that comes with your credit/debit card states that the card remains the property of the issuer, and not the card holder.

That is so that when the transaction is not authorised, the bank can istruct the retailer to retain the card (because it belongs to them, not you).

:rolleyes:

Surely this is the fault of Tesco the largest supermarket in the country still behind in their chip card reader implementation at Pay at Pump and they still have not removed this feature or install chip card readers.:eek:

I wonder if the crooks used their tesco clubcards?

As an aside, and I don't expect too much sympathy for petrol retailers, but they still have to pay the tax on fuel stolen when someone drives off without paying - so they get hit for the cost of the fuel and then taxed on income they never got.
Which is poor in anyones book.

Is it, given that it's their poor security has allowed the fuel to be drawn. Any item with specific duty has to be paid for given a loss of the product.

Anyway, you can bet your bottom dollar that the cost is passed onto the customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom