Robert Burns 250th Anniversary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RodgerDodger

Car
99 - E300 TD - W210
Hi

Tonight is Burns' night and also the bards' 250th birthday anniversary
Just preparing the tumshie but not having haggis - stew, neeps and tatties for me:)

Just wondering if anyone else is celebrating

Wa's like us

Unfortunately not, and I am upset as in 24hrs time I will be @ work :(

Haggis is delicious and any excuse to eat it is welcome.

Insightful programme on Burns 9pm tonight on BBC4 for anyone interested, not to be confused with the "sitcom version" on BBC1 [Scotland-- I assume? ] at the same time.

Will try watch that tonight
I do prefer the more factual/less-dressed account - still suffering from those hogmany programmes - those really make me cringe

not fact but apparently, he was abit of a 'ladies-man':D

Haggis, neeps and tatties at the ready, with whisky sauce and a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask on the side. We'll be saying the Selkirk Grace and addressing the haggis with the bard's immortal words. It doesnae get any better than this!

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

What he said only with a bottle of Finlaggan.:D

And I have a meeting at 7:30 in the morning:( :( I may be a wee timorous beastie then.

had a holiday in scotland back in the 80's, an old railway cottage in coupar angus with a coal fire and beamed ceilings, people were great, except the 95 year old woman who chased me for collecting wood for the fire from a huge forest just down the road, she claimed all the wood cuttings belonged to her :confused: local pub did'nt close until last man staggered out the door
robert-burns.jpg

What he said only with a bottle of Finlaggan.:D

I'm convinced Finlaggan comes from the Lagavulin Distillery, which is still my favourite Islay Malt. The Laphroaig Quarter Cask does get my vote for smoothness though, and I always think of Rabbie as a smooth barsteward.

i had haggis at the scottish meet yesterday for a starter.

Insightful programme on Burns 9pm tonight on BBC4 for anyone interested, not to be confused with the "sitcom version" on BBC1 [Scotland-- I assume? ] at the same time.

Tks Grober
Excellent programme this - still on for another 1/2 hr - turn now to catch

I shall be imbibing at a Burns dinner night on Friday. I am not from the northern parts but my wife is and I must admit I always find these nights great fun.

I shall dread the moment when I check beneath my chair to see if I have been been given the honour of reading out a poem - my scottish accent always causes embarassment for me and much mirth for everyone else!

Timeless!

Tks Grober
Excellent programme this - still on for another 1/2 hr - turn now to catch

Superb programme, didn't pull its punches on his faults or stint on praise either. The camera work was excellent and gratifying to see many of the places associated with his life still remain and in good heart too. I particularly liked the glee of the kids re-enacting Tam O'Shanter at the actual locations in the poem. There's no doubt he was a ROCK STAR of 18th century Edinburgh.:rock:
Timeless!

Grate Scotts

I was at 2 Burns Night celebrations this weekend! One of Friday the other Saturday. The Friday job was quite entertaining. The band and I were at the Plough Inn in Staining, Blackpool. For the people who don't know, I run a community based Pipe Band, I have been the Pipe Major for close to 10 years. A good night was had by the band on the Friday, they Played well. I piped in the Haggis and it was addressed by a guy called Tommy Divine, I have known Tommy for 20 years and he does this every year for the band even though he is getting on in years. Anyway, Here is a photo of me and a guy who I met at the venue and spent most of the night talking to him.
meandbillybs6.jpg

w2048.png

I was at 2 Burns Night celebrations this weekend! One of Friday the other Saturday. The Friday job was quite entertaining. The band and I were at the Plough Inn in Staining, Blackpool. For the people who don't know, I run a community based Pipe Band, I have been the Pipe Major for close to 10 years. A good night was had by the band on the Friday, they Played well. I piped in the Haggis and it was addressed by a guy called Tommy Divine, I have known Tommy for 20 years and he does this every year for the band even though he is getting on in years. Anyway, Here is a photo of me and a guy who I met at the venue and spent most of the night talking to him.
meandbillybs6.jpg

was pamela with him ? :D

meandbillybs6.jpg

was pamela with him ? :D

No thank god!

I have seen her on TV a few times and she is annoying:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom