Robert Falcon Scott

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
Terra Nova Expedition.
Died aged 43.
100 years ago today.

I felt strangely uncomfortable when I saw an excerpt from the St Paul's memorial service today on the TV. The initial almost "pop star" adulation he was regarded with and the subsequent glorification of his exploits round the country were indeed the stuff of legend. However according to many researchers towards the end of the 20th century the reality was slightly different. His bravery unquestionable---his judgement less so. I had hoped this had all died down and left to historical scholars but misguided celebrations like today's simply raise ghosts best left undisturbed. :( Robert Falcon Scott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fault or no fault, it's people like him that forward knowledge and understanding of the Human Race.

We would be poorer without such people.

The fact they have self belief bordering on arrogance is what gives them their drive. Lets rejoice in it, not belittle it. None of them were conscripts, they were all willing vounteers.

you are making the mistake of equating brave leadership with good leadership. That's the sort of thing that gets people killed. Witness the first world war as a prime example.

Roald Amundsen= PASS

Robert Falcon Scott= FAIL

Amundsen’s expedition benefited from careful preparation, good equipment, appropriate clothing, a simple primary task an understanding of dogs and their handling, and the effective use of skis. In contrast to the misfortunes of Scott’s team, Amundsen’s trek proved rather smooth and uneventful.

In Amundsen’s own words:

I may say that this is the greatest factor—the way in which the expedition is equipped—the way in which every difficulty is foreseen, and precautions taken for meeting or avoiding it. Victory awaits him who has everything in order — luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom