Robinsons Mercedes - Cambridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Since 2003 I have been getting parts from these clowns, 2/3rds of the time I provide them with the Part No. or my VIN number and it always takes them around 10-15mins of going back and forth to the PC and me re-asking the same questions etc etc - EVEN WITH THE PART NUMBER!
Everytime I seem to get the same guy, who has no manners at all, cant be ****d to put some thought into my request and is gererally rude.

Last week I go in and ask for side repeater lense for a 1999 facelift W202, 1st up he asked me for my VIN (which I didnt have to hand this time). 5mins later he appears from the storeroom with the early square orange version, I explained it was the later curved version and off he went again, 5 mins later re-appearing with the clear square version, same thing happened again until he came out claiming that I must not have an orignal part fitted. So again I went through all the details, also telling him that its the same one fitted to the early W210 etc.
So 15mins to look for a part that for someone who has worked there for at least 6 years shouldnt be that difficult to locate.

As I left the showroom and walked to my car I was nearly hit by one of there tech guys reversing/thrashing a customers C240 W203 estate around to the back of the building (I know it was a customers as I had walked in behind the owner when I orginally walked in).

In the past they have also ordered non-facelift wings for my brothers facelift 1999 CLK when it was in the workshop for rust replaire, broke the heater dial off my last W202, told me its no longer possible to order a number plate plinth for a W202, fail to reply to emails, messages.... the list goes on!

Avoid them unless completely nesscary!

Last edited:
Copy and paste this into an email to Mercedes Benz UK, Tongwell Milton Keynes and feel a tad better about it! :thumb:

Since 2003 I have been getting parts from these clowns, 2/3rds of the time I provide them with the Part No. or my VIN number and it always takes them around 10-15mins of going back and forth to the PC and me re-asking the same questions etc etc - EVEN WITH THE PART NUMBER!
Everytime I seem to get the same guy, who has no manners at all, cant be ****d but some thought into my request and is gererally rude.

Last week I go in and ask for side repeater lense for a 1999 facelift W202, 1st up he asked me for my VIN (which I didnt have to hand this time). 5mins later he appears from the storeroom with the early square orange version, I explained it was the later curved version and off he went again, 5 mins later re-appearing with the clear square version, same thing happened again until he came out claiming that I must not have an orignal part fitted. So again I went through all the details, also telling him that its the same one fitted to the early W210 etc.
So 15mins to look for a part that for someone who has worked there for at least 6 years shouldnt be that difficult to locate.

As I left the showroom and walked to my car I was nearly hit by one of there tech guys reversing/thrashing a customers C240 W203 estate around to the back of the building (I know it was a customers as I had walked in behind the owner when I orginally walked in).

In the past they have also ordered non-facelift wings for my brothers facelift 1999 CLK when it was in the workshop for rust replair, broke the heater dial off my last W202, told me its no longer possible to order a number plate plinth for a W202, fail to reply to emails, messages.... the list goes on!

I needed a rear lamp lens whilst in Cambridge once and they got it right first time, without the part number. :cool:

I needed a rear lamp lens whilst in Cambridge once and they got it right first time, without the part number. :cool:

Hmmm, the plot thickens - KillerHERTZ - you caused any trouble round that way? :rolleyes:

Re: the parts counter - im guessing its down to who you get, I always get the same guy who is terrible (I have his name, but I wont post it here)...

Lucky you amwebby! :)

EDIT: They also left a Philips screwdriver in the enginebay when I had my alarm fixed

Last edited:
that is my local one too and ive been there 20+ times since 2004 when i got GFP 1

ive found 1 of the blokes to be a really superb bloke (he owns a vectra) and as im in a chair he always comes out to see me and runs back and forth and always gives me a decent % off

but

there is a young bloke and an old bloke who are snotty and rude and slow and are generally annoying who ive argued with more than once as i had 2 seperate ariels and none fitted until the vauxhall bloke said he would have a look and immediatly realised what was wrong

plus i always get the feeling im not wanted as my merc is old

then again when i first went up there the vauxhall bloke said could i hang around for 5 mins as one of the mechanics wanted to have a look at my car as he had never seen a w124 coupe with amg stuff but no amg engine (i think that was it) so i felt a bit loved then

Everytime I seem to get the same guy, who has no manners at all, cant be ****d but some thought into my request and is gererally rude.

In the past they have also ordered non-facelift wings for my brothers facelift 1999 CLK when it was in the workshop for rust replair, broke the heater dial off my last W202, told me its no longer possible to order a number plate plinth for a W202, fail to reply to emails, messages.... the list goes on!

Get all your facts clear in your head then make an appointment to see the owner, or the most senior person in the business. Tell him you find the style of service repugnant and tell him you would like to get it sorted rather than just go away.

Yes it can cause a bit of stress initially but sometimes a coffee and a chat in a non threatening way can do the trick nicely.
Chances are he already knows he has a problem with one or two individuals and you may be exactly what he is looking for to take the action he may have wanted to take for a while!?

Make an appointment, go see the boss - nicely!

If that does't work take it to MBUK.

Good luck, W. :)

TBH, im not sure I can be bothered making a proper complaint. I just felt the need to spread the word. Afterall, telling them issues from as far back as 2003 isnt going to help me is it? :(

GFP, the old thin guy is the person in question. Complete tool!

Ps, what is a German Flower Pot? :)

Ps, what is a German Flower Pot? :)[/QUOTE]

Yep, I've often wondered that. :)

We went to these lot to buy a new car, the salesman was about 14 told us we would never get one with a sunroof because they came with a/c and seemed like his texts were more important than his customer, needless to say we did buy a car, from mercedes of lincoln and yes it has got a sunroof. Lincoln sales team are very good by the way.We are now looking to change again and have been talking to mercedes world at brooklands, we spoke to a guy called chris who was realy helpful and made us feel like important customers, i think the next one will come from them.

Can't say any of the above surprises me. They once (the P'boro branch) took six to return a phone call!!!

Robinsons of Cambridge

I took my wife's SLK200 automatic in for a service and was told about a slight gearbox leak, but report said 're-check at next service'. As the warranty was close to finishing and would have run out by then I took it straight back for a seal change. To cut a long story short it was all done on a 'goodwill' basis - nice of them given it was still in warranty (just).

Drove it home and when I tried to reverse to park the car, the gear lever action went totally loose and it was immobile. Called Robinsons they picked it up on a trailer and I'm pretty sure damaged the front valance in the process and I got a courtesy vehicle. After a day they said it was all fixed and I could collect it.

I wanted an explanation and an apology for them having disturbed the gearbox linkage and not put it back properly, but no joy. They maintained that the seal was replaced without going into the engine/gearbox at all. This when the job sheet clearly stated: "Automatic transmission remove".

They said the linkage failing 20 mins from collection was a coincidence. The car had done only 20k miles from new. So I said well my wife isn't going to use this car if Mercedes are so fragile, (knowing they are not), but still nothing but waffle and bullsh**in return. And that was it. No responsibility, no shame, no apology, nothing.

I reported it to regional head office and heard nothing since and haven't been back there except for a half price MOT, when I complained again and the guy in servicing had the grace to appear shame-faced. The handover receptionist still encouraged me to give them top marks in the customer survey "especially as they had improved so much since my last visit" - you couldn't make it up! This lot plead with you to make sure you give them top marks every time - perhaps Mercedes are getting wise to them. I always feel I'm about to get mugged (and at those prices it's a certainty) AND be expected to be thank them afterwards. AVOID.

:(

Last edited:
I took my wife's SLK200 automatic in for a service and was told about a slight gearbox leak, but report said 're-check at next service'. As the warranty was close to finishing and would have run out by then I took it straight back for a seal change. To cut a long story short it was all done on a 'goodwill' basis - nice of them given it was still in warranty (just).

Drove it home and when I tried to reverse to park the car, the gear lever action went totally loose and it was immobile. Called Robinsons they picked it up on a trailer and I'm pretty sure damaged the front valance in the process and I got a courtesy vehicle. After a day they said it was all fixed and I could collect it.

I wanted an explanation and an apology for them having disturbed the gearbox linkage and not put it back properly, but no joy. They maintained that the seal was replaced without going into the engine/gearbox at all. This when the job sheet clearly stated: "Automatic transmission remove".

They said the linkage failing 20 mins from collection was a coincidence. The car had done only 20k miles from new. So I said well my wife isn't going to use this car if Mercedes are so fragile, (knowing they are not), but still nothing but waffle and bullsh**in return. And that was it. No responsibility, no shame, no apology, nothing.

I reported it to regional head office and heard nothing since and haven't been back there except for a half price MOT, when I complained again and the guy in servicing had the grace to appear shame-faced. The handover receptionist still encouraged me to give them top marks in the customer survey "especially as they had improved so much since my last visit" - you couldn't make it up! This lot plead with you to make sure you give them top marks every time - perhaps Mercedes are getting wise to them. I always feel I'm about to get mugged (and at those prices it's a certainty) AND be expected to be thank them afterwards. AVOID.

:(

Maybe they should have admitted their culpability, although fear of legal action often obviates against that these days, but they repaired the fault and provided you with a courtesy car FOC. That's doesn't constitute bad service in my book. The apology would just be a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom