Rocker Cover Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaKaToM

Car
C204 C63
Hi Guys,

So last night I nipped out in the car and when I returned I could smell oil burning and noticed some white smoke coming from the vent under the passenger side headlamp.
After scouring the forum last night it appears that a crack in the rocker cover is a common issue with the M156.

So, today I had a little look and and found a small crack to the back of the rocker cover. So, I have a couple of questions;

What causes this “common issue”?

Now I know I can pick one up from MB Newcastle for £260, but I’ve seen people on here pick them up as little as £135 from main dealers. Any tips?

I’m planning on replacing it myself, but wanted to ask if there is anything in particular to watch out for when doing this? Any coil pack issues? Any ECU issues? Anything else I should replace at the same time? Breather hoses etc?

Thanks all!
Tom

Unfortunately i cannot answer your question but will say is it possible to install the metal rocker covers?
Im sure being plastic it will happen again...

Hi Guys,

So last night I nipped out in the car and when I returned I could smell oil burning and noticed some white smoke coming from the vent under the passenger side headlamp.
After scouring the forum last night it appears that a crack in the rocker cover is a common issue with the M156.

So, today I had a little look and and found a small crack to the back of the rocker cover. So, I have a couple of questions;

What causes this “common issue”?

Now I know I can pick one up from MB Newcastle for £260, but I’ve seen people on here pick them up as little as £135 from main dealers. Any tips?

I’m planning on replacing it myself, but wanted to ask if there is anything in particular to watch out for when doing this? Any coil pack issues? Any ECU issues? Anything else I should replace at the same time? Breather hoses etc?

Thanks all!
Tom
Being plastic is the main cause.
Old prefacelift cars has metal ones but not produced anymore.

The package comes with new gasket and everything you need.

Facelift are plastic ive got the same issue it cracks after time with the heat it goes brittal as for price ive just booked mine in to a merc indi £400 all in the cover itself is £256 with all new gaskets the driver's side 1 looks pretty straightforward but not the passenger so for the sake of £150 let them do it book time 2hrs 30 mins

When a torque wrench is used , the rocker boxes will last musch longer if not a lifetime of the engine .

When a torque wrench is used , the rocker boxes will last musch longer if not a lifetime of the engine .
Not on the M156 common fault from factory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom