Rodney King, RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why should his death spark riots? I expect he will be mourned respectfully by his community.

if he is only mourned by "his" community wouldn't that become a point of conflict with communities that were not "his" or am I misunderstanding your point?

if he is only mourned by "his" community wouldn't that become a point of conflict with communities that were not "his" or am I misunderstanding your point?

Yes, suffice to say that you are misunderstanding my point.

I was at the races at Hollywood Park the day the 1992 riots kicked off in L.A., about 2 miles from the intersection of Normandie & Florence where the truck driver was pulled from his cab & beaten.

As I drove home down the San Diego Freeway to white bread Orange County I could see a lot of fires & plumes of smoke on my left as buildings & businesses were torched. There were no police to be found, they just left the scene.

Don't know what they are like now but LAPD were fierce back then, and I say that as a WASP.

Last edited:
I remember seeing that awful footage on television. :(

The reports on BBC Radio 4 say that the authorities doubt foul play.
Too swift an assumption in the case of a body found at the bottom of a swimming pool? :confused:

As I drove home down the San Diego Freeway to white bread Orange County I could see a lot of fires & plumes of smoke on my left as buildings & businesses were torched. There were no police to be found, they just left the scene.

Sounds like London last August.

A poor chap who had a life that was almost nonsensical. A street guy who seemed the product of his neighbourhood in that time, who committed serious crimes but was punished in an inhumane way. He I think acted in a very dignified manner and then a strangely undignified manner when blowing his settlement on gangsta rap and falling back into his past problems. celebrity rehab stints and boxing matches against shamed ex-policeman etc all followed.

I imagine very few of us could walk a mile in his shoes, and hopefully he will get some peace now.

Sort of relevant, at least giving an historical perspective of where L.A.'s finest were coming from, L.A. Confidential L.A. Confidential - Rotten Tomatoes is on Film 4 tonight at 11.05.

If you haven't seen it, it's a great movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom