Rolex watches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
Toying with the idea of buying a rolex submariner. Anyone know the best place to go ? Really looking on it as an investment rather than bling. Or if anyone is in to watches and can give me some pointers. Thanks.

Fly over to Guernsey, that's what a few of my friends do.

Chrono24.com may yield some interesting finds.

Watches & Jewellery of Bond Street sell some very interesting watches.

You could check out your local retailer but usuallythey only sell brand new which may not be what you want for an investment.

It depends on the watch really. I'm kinda hoping I find someone that's a bit skint and wants some quick cash so I can make a killing lol. I really don't know much about them although the wife has owned a few in the past I've never really took much notice.

If you're looking at it as an investment then the best thing is to buy something classic and then stick it in the safe and never wear it.

I'm not much into Rolex but I have a couple of decent watches in the collection and they do get brought out and worn fairly regularly. It seems a shame to me to just hide them away, I appreciate the engineering that goes into them and I want to enjoy it.

They were bought second hand (at about 2/3rds new cost). So long as I look after them they shouldn't lose any money but I'm not expecting them to go up in value much either, at least in the short term as they are both modern pieces - hence my comment about a classic being a better investment.

Cheers,

Gaz

How much can one save over uk pricing ?

Whatever the prevailing rate of VAT is. But that'll all get gobbled up when you return to the mainland and declare it at customs. Which you will do, won't you? Tax evasion is a criminal offence..

Cheers,

Gaz

Don't rush into buying one, it can sometimes be worth a wait for the right one.

Obviously you want paper work and service records in the box as a priority, then go for condition and age.

Condition wise a suitable patina and some signs of use are not a bad thing as long as its not battered and no parts are missing.
Something like a Comex Sub is always going to be desirable and personally I would much rather have one that has actually seen some active duty. Many buyers would agree!

If you happen to find one with with anything red on it, be that a second pointer, midday marker or the depth this will make it more interesting to a future buyer. But don't let on to the vendor as many Rolex owners get them as gifts and they don't always know what they have got;)

You may also want to look at Sea Dwellers!

are you looking for a sports watch? a dress watch or an all rounder? The current sea dweller is very chunky in height. Put me off it as I like sports watches but also want to be able to wear them with in the office. Went for a green submariner in the end.

are you looking for a sports watch? a dress watch or an all rounder? The current sea dweller is very chunky in height. Put me off it as I like sports watches but also want to be able to wear them with in the office. Went for a green submariner in the end.
Nothing looking for anything particular really just a decent watch so I can spoil myself but not lose any money lol.

On a steel sub you won't get much off retail. Max 10pc. Better off buying in Asia or just from an airport if you are on a trip.

Otherwise go used, or owned but unworn. Try blowers jewellers to get an idea of pricing. They are very trusted.

20% (VAT) plus whatever discount you can negotiate. I think they post the box etc back home and wear the watch.

Guernsey

At a rolex A.D. Its very unlikely u will get a discount, unless you are known to them. If you are looking to make money on it, don't buy a brand new one. Best look at pre-owned classic subs. Also suggest an original sea dweller rather than the deepsea. Look for one produced in 1999. It has the word swiss at 6 o clock rather than swiss made. Produced for one year only and things like that can make a difference, if you were ever to sell it on. Have a look at sweepinghands.co.uk or DIVING-WATCH.NET. Very interesting collection.

The sub is the bread and butter I got one as a 21st present in New York was 2400 dollars, 10 years ago now. I have worn it daily and it's stood up ok, scuffed at the back.

I have a SS Daytona now, I do like that feels nice on not too big some of the new watches are far too big now.

I had a Rolex DSSD a couple of years ago and sold it on as it was to heavy.
I now have an Rolex Explorer in white, its nice but I miss my older Omega planet ocean, I had it in Orange and did not like it.
I would buy it again in black anytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom