Roll Over Bar Problem. 320 CLK CAB 2005

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamieEdwards

Car
CLK 320 CONV
Hi All
I am new to this forum and a new Mercedes owner. I have a CLK 320 CAB 2005
Unfortunately I already have a problem.

I went over a speed bump a little too fast and the rear head rests (I presume these are the roll over bars as well) popped up also the hazard light came on.

I have read all the threads relating to this and am still confused. I have a number of questions if I may.

1. Does the headrest switch lower or extend the headrests. Mine doesn’t do either
2. I have seen how to lower the headrests manually but notice this must be done with the roof up. Since the speed bump incident my roof won’t go up.
3. I then tried to lower them manually with the roof down (manual says don’t do this, oops) and found I could do this however they don’t lock into place but spring up again.
Can anyone please help
Thanks for reading
Jamie

In your tool kit there should be a tool like a very long Allen key. Failing that find a long screwdriver.
On side of each rear headrest is a stitched seam. Align your tool with this and slide it down the side of the headrest. You will hit a sprung part which you need to push down while firmly pushing down the headrest. Repeat on the other side.
Job done !

Thanks Richard I did find the long allen key and located the spring to reset the headrests but they won't stay down. I was wondering if this was because the roof is on?

OK update

I managed to get the headrests down, just needed a bit more force.
The roof now works.

one last worry is that the manual says "If you reset these with the roof up it may cause the roll over function not to work" I now remember that the headrests have never come up before either when the roof goes down or with the switch.

I am pretty sure there are two "up" positions. One you achieve by pulling the headrests up against a ratchet. The second is the higher position fired up by the springs with a loud bang plus lots of flashing lights on the dash ! I only achieved this once when I got air on a crest while having fun on a twisty bumpy road !
If they are back down I think you have sorted your problem.

Thanks I hope your right. I'm still not sure what the switch on the dash does

Doesnt the switch lower them after you have pulled them up to position one by hand ? It wont lower them from position two though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom