Roller Garage Door Motor Replacement ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aletank

MB Enthusiast
I have 2004 Cardale Thermaglide electric roller garage door, never had a problem until now. Tonight it wouldn't raise past maybe 4 inches and the motor makes a buzzing sound. If I give it a helping hand it moves a few more inches then stops again, once over halfway up it goes itself then, coming down is no problem
I'm guessing the motor has gone, It's a tubular motor.
Has anyone had the same problem ? Is it a DIY fix/replacement ? I'm guessing the shutter would have to come off.
What would one cost to have it all fitted by someone/a company ?
Are some motors better than others ?
Thanks for any advice !

Speak to Cardale , they have a helpline and are sure to be conversant with this problem. may just be a damaged roller causing the motor to trip rather than tear up the door.

You might check the bump starty capacitor, I replaced mine for about £4.75 from eBay and that sorted it.
A multi meter with capacitor range could see if the reading matches the capacitor rating.

First reaction is that it's a jam causing the motor to jam, and "trip" out of action. Think of something similar to the device that stops your side windows slicing the head off a child. Look to see if there's any kind of blockage stopping the roller from moving, and see if lubrication is needed to the basic roller mechanism (not the motor).

Thanks for the replies ! It worked ok this morning.
When it was stopping yesterday it was making a buzzing sound like it was trying and when I gave it a helping hand it went up.
I'll give it a clean tomorrow and have a look over it

Seems to be working fine now ! I've just been out and gave it a good clean inside n out, couldn't see nothing untoward and no where really to lube it etc. The manual says to just give it a wipe over with a wet cloth, no mention of lube etc.
I'll be keeping a close eye on it now, thanks for all your thoughts/ideas !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom