Rolling back to IOS5 from IOS6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Has anyone managed to rollback or downgrade from IOS6 to IOS5?

The new mapping application is worthless, and as one of the few apps I use every single day has made my phone pointless.

I now resort to my android for mapping, but as my work phone is the apple's brick it's a bit of a pain...
M.

Hi Spinal,

Once you have upgraded to ios 6 unless you saved the SHSH file from the previous build. You could jailbreak your iPhone and see if you can do it that way. Might be worth checking apple support forums i have dropped the link in below. I haven't had much use of the maps app but universal feedback says they are poor.

Best of luck

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322892?start=60&tstart=0

Spinal, apart from the crap maps are there any differences/advantages to IOS6

At one stage I had to reinstall a different iOS on my iPhone 4 as it died a horrible iOS based death with the configuration settings from Apple - it simply overlaid the new iOS over the old and killed it (rather than removing the old and installing the new)

What I did was download the iOS I was using (can't remember the version off the top of my head but if you were using 5.0 it should be okay to google and download that). Once downloaded put the file somewhere you can point to it from itunes. Then get the iPhone in to DFU mode, there are guides to that from YT and google. Connect the phone up to iTunes and shift-click on restore/update in iTunes for the software update, select the newly downloaded iOS 5 file, it will verify the file with Apple and provided it is good it will install that on the phone job done.

I can't confirm that will definitely work but in theory it should, provided you get a good iOS5 file.

Spinal, apart from the crap maps are there any differences/advantages to IOS6

Finally the iPhone gives us a "Do Not Disturb" feature allowing one to silence alerts, calls etc. but also filtering and allowing those one really might want, e.g. family..

Did some fiddling today, tried using iTunes to do repost the old IOS5 "update"; and it won't let me do that.

Can't really jailbreak is, as it's a corporate phone (and I wrote the security policy which bans jailbreaking :p) so it would be a little wrong for me to do it.

Looks like I'm stuck with my android... going to see if vodaphone can get me a normal SIM to use in another phone until apple get their act together...

m.

So you've tried the iphone recovery trick of holding the buttons down for a certain amount of time while in itunes etc? I believe this works on the iphone4, not sure about the 4s and above. I have an iphone4 or two in my desk drawer so I might try it if I get chance. I'm sure one of my users will eventually ask me to roll theirs back...

If you are with vodafone corporate and have a spare SIM you can move the number to it immediately, I do this all the time.

I am on voda corporate - didn't know about that! Sadly, don't have a spare SIM to hand, so I may jsut pop into my local vodaphone store.

I have tried the restore trick - no luck.

M.

I am on voda corporate - didn't know about that! Sadly, don't have a spare SIM to hand, so I may jsut pop into my local vodaphone store.
Stores do not carry corporate sims (the sims are physically the same but are in a different database). I have about 15 spares atm but after a year of being disconnected they are binned from the network and can't be used again.
I have tried the restore trick - no luck.
:(

Upgraded my 3GS as a trial this afternoon. Lengthy but smooth. Graphics changes, such 'Find my iPhone' look a bit amateurish, to be polite. Not what I would expect from a style centric brand.

iPhone 4S and ipad2 to follow next.

It does seem that many of these new and "innovative" features on the iphone5 are features that rivals such as Android and in the past, Blackberry have had for some years. Blackberry allowed you to select when you would receive emails, texts or 'phone calls and each or all could be timed to switch off and on and a selective blocked caller list for 'phone calls and text is something I believed all modern smart 'phones had.

Whilst the products appear well made and have a pleasing design I cannot feel anything but underwhelmed every time I use an Apple product.

It may be me being a technological numpty but the iPad cannot truly multi-task, if it can my apologies to Apple but I could not find a way of minimising an app and then re-launching it without going back to the home screen.

I have also attempted to connect my Galaxy SII to an iPad via Blue tooth, they can see each other, have paired but the iPad will not establish a connection. Not a problem I have ever encountered when attaching the'phone to 5 other blue tooth devices.

I am certainly not denigrating the product, nothing is perfect but for me and in my experience in day to day operation I cannot see anything that the iPhone does better than Android except for Siri, the Vlingo app on Android is seriously poor at recognising commands or correctly operating the hands free kit.

A slick design, some very slick marketing and brand loyalty go a long way to keeping people happy but a the iPhone5 does not appear to be a major leap forward, more a slight evolution when perhaps the mobile market is ready for a revolution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom