Rolling backwards in Drive (Auto box)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JJBall

Car
W209 CLK350 Convertible
Hi,

New to forum.

I have searched this item but cannot find any relevant information.

Recently bought a W209 350 CLK 2005 plate. This may well be a “thing” but whilst sat stationary in Drive (Auto box) on a steepish gradient, vehicle rolls backwards. If I didn’t brake then would just keep on rolling. Not sure if this is common or something more sinister. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi & welcome.

Nothing to worry about IMHO - every auto I've owned has done this with the engine just idling.

Our 2019 W205 C Class has a 'brake hold' feature where you can quickly jab the brake when stationary and it then stays on till you press the accelerator, but none of our older Mercs had this.

Hello and welcome. Depends on the steepness of the incline , the torque converter can only do so much , more modern cars have 'hill assist' tech to hold them in place . Any symptoms the TC is on the way out ? When was the last time the transmission had a full service ?

Hi & welcome.

Nothing to worry about IMHO - every auto I've owned has done this with the engine just idling.

Our 2019 W205 C Class has a 'brake hold' feature where you can quickly jab the brake when stationary and it then stays on till you press the accelerator, but none of our older Mercs had this.
My S204 2013 also has this feature; I just wish MB had refined it so that when you select hold, the brake lights went off instead of burning out the eyeballs of the driver behind.

My S204 2013 also has this feature; I just wish MB had refined it so that when you select hold, the brake lights went off instead of burning out the eyeballs of the driver behind.

Interesting, I use it a lot on our W205 (Mrs BTB never does, for some reason?!) and will check the brake lights next time.

Our 2007 W203 didn't have this function so I assume the OP's 2005 W209 won't either.

more modern cars have 'hill assist' tech to hold them in place

Certainly on our car 'hill start assist' only stops the car rolling back for a few seconds when pulling away:

1680173646198.png

It's the brake 'hold' function I mentioned before that will hold it in place:

1680173691366.png
1680173777231.png

Hello and welcome. Depends on the steepness of the incline , the torque converter can only do so much , more modern cars have 'hill assist' tech to hold them in place . Any symptoms the TC is on the way out ? When was the last time the transmission had a full service ?

Thanks PP,

None of the issues mentioned here are evident. All fluids to be replaced within the next month.

Thanks again.

Recently bought a W209 350 CLK 2005 plate. This may well be a “thing” but whilst sat stationary in Drive (Auto box) on a steepish gradient, vehicle rolls backwards. If I didn’t brake then would just keep on rolling. Not sure if this is common or something more sinister. Any advice would be appreciated.
They all do that Sir/Madam!

If you do not have hill hold then it will roll back.

Depends on spec of vehicle / age.

When i dab my brakes on mine i get HOLD come up on the instrument cluster.

My older Audi did not have hill hold option selected so just rolled back

They all do that Sir/Madam!
ISTR that the Mercedes 7G (and probably 9G), due to their different construction, will allow the car to roll back on an incline even when in Drive with the engine running, whereas the 5G 'box doesn't (I believe that the 5G 'box has an anti-rollback sprag clutch).

On my CLK, I just flipped the S/W switch to Winter, box moves to 2nd gear and will hold it on near verticle :)

ISTR that the Mercedes 7G (and probably 9G), due to their different construction, will allow the car to roll back on an incline even when in Drive with the engine running, whereas the 5G 'box doesn't (I believe that the 5G 'box has an anti-rollback sprag clutch).

My W639 and R129 both have the 5G-Tronic gearbox and will roll back on an incline with the engine idling and transmission in D.

My W639 and R129 both have the 5G-Tronic gearbox and will roll back on an incline with the engine idling and transmission in D.
Is that with the transmission in W/C mode or S mode? Apparently it was only in W/C mode that they wouldn't roll back.

Is that with the transmission in W/C mode or S mode? Apparently it was only in W/C mode that they wouldn't roll back.

It's possible but the SL handbook says you should normally drive in S (standard) mode rather than W (winter), so that's what I do! There is a general warning about it rolling back unless the parking or foot brake is used:

1680188888273.png

The Vito doesn't have selectable modes and always does it.

There were 70+ versions of the 722.6 5G-TRONIC (Electronic) gearbox over a 25 or so year lifespan so they may not all have behaved the same.

Interesting thread.....Im sure you are all right but the A Class we have now and the SLK before it would not roll backwards if in drive no matter how steep the hill.....my CLK was manual so does not count!!! Neither had hill hold...too old!! My other autos (Jeep Grand Cherokee and Audi A8 4.2) also would not roll backwards when in drive either.

I have had several auto’s inc 2 x CLK’s, both newer versions than this CLK. This is the first time that I have experienced a car rolling back as much as this, hence the question. I did at first think that it maybe the Torque Converter, having read your responses I think I can assume that it is owing to the age/design of the transmission. I now need to explain to the better half as to how to perform a hill start with the foot brake, or a left foot brake hill start!

Thanks again for responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom