Rolling Road GTG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it ok for me to just turn up there. If so i'll bring my e55 and will be coming from essex, a406/m11 if anyone is passing through.

I'm sure it will be fine for you to just turn up - we have had a few people drop out.

And given that you have an E55 - you are more than welcome :D

S.

Please feel free to join us

Mark

I wish you all luck guys and hope everything works to your expectations. I would have liked to come but work commitments make it impossible. Dont blow engines, blow your minds.

Ian

Thanks 2 Mark for organising this today. :bannana:

Shame about the weather eh' ! :( :(

Sorry I had to leave early, but it seemed that everybody was pretty pleased with the figures that they were getting.

What was the verdict with the TD Box Jimmy ?

S.

Yes, thanks Mark, it was a great day, very interesting and good to see everybody again.

I was pleased with my results, confirms what I already knew, the end results of calculated flywheel bhp are exactly the same as my previous runs at Hi-Tech just after I fitted the tuning box.

Standard run (just K&N air filter) was 159bhp and 200 lb/ft
Power setting 1 was 175bhp and 214 lb/ft
Power setting 2 was 177bhp and 218 lb/ft (and a little black smoke:D )

It was interesting to see that the maximum torque and power is delivered at lower engine rpm with a steeper increase on setting 2, although it soon starts overfuelling and just creates smoke instead of power.

I left it on setting 2 on the way home and I think it feels better, pulling better at lower engine speeds and accelerating very swiftly. I measured a 50-70mph speed on my Nokia stopwatch on the M1 on the way back, 4.6 seconds (approx!) don't know how that compares to anything else.:confused:

The only problem is the overfuelling, I need more air!! I will do as Dieselman has suggested and polish my turbo internals when I get a chance and keep an eye out for a 300TD intercooler.

It was interesting today to notice that the two diesel cars were the quietest when doing the power runs today, some of the petrol cars sounded very impressive but very loud. Did anybody else notice this?

I think Dorian and myself have had a good idea for the next GTG.;)

Last edited:
Yep, Many Thanks Mark for organising. Good to see everyone again, and even better to see than my new SL350 is nearly making as much torque as the SL500!! (302 ft/lb compared to 339 ft/lb for the SL500)

Just need more BHP now!

Cheers again Mark,

Matt.

Mark.

Thanks for organising the day it was fun. Nice to meet all that were there.

Jimmy you will be pleased to know your "Bonfire on wheels" had certainly gone out on the M1, no visible smoke at all.

I have a few queries relating to the readings;

What were everyones terminal revs and speeds as it looks like my run was in 5th gear but strangly the car didn't change down even though the guy at PTS (Dave ?) claimed to be pedal to the metal?
This I don't understand as I know it changes and kicksdown in upper gears.

My max revs are shown at 3,800 at 114 Mph = 30 mph /1000 revs.
The car freely revved over 5000 revs on the way home??!!

I haven't got the frontpage to my run but have calculated the transmission losses to be between a minimum of 11% and a maximum of 20%. Seems a bit low for an auto.

Vin:
Can you check your results for any anomolies as we were the last two to run and mine are odd.

A big thanks Mark for organising the day at PTS.

I was blown away with the Torque that's Maff SL350 produced ;)

Here's a summary of mine:
222.2 BHP @ 5923 rpm
218 lb ft @ 5104 rpm

And max rpm in test 6541 rpm.

Again, shame about the weather.
Roll on Germany trip :bannana:

Jimmy, yes, I agree, now Concorde has stop flying !! :D

Again thanks Mark.

Thanks from me too, got some pleasing stats I can gloat about now:-

109 bhp/ton
124 bhp/litre

In gear acceleration times
30-50: 1.7 sec
50-70: 1.8 sec

I'll conveniently gloss over the relatively small bhp/torque figure compared to some of you guys, but its nice to know a £20 K&N filter can add 6bhp :D

Glad everyone had a good time :)

Dave is certainly knowlegable, and was very helpful where possible. - ie letting Jimmy run several times to check different chips.

Only fly in the ointment is Dieselmans wierd figures ???
Having spoken to Paul tonight we can slip you in next time just todo a rerun and comparison. Its a pity really that we only ran it once - and didnt realise until afterwards.

Prob with Vins results are that they were purposely run in 2 different gears - and whilst I agree errors can occur - I cant see Vin having an error twice! - at least we spotted his fuel leak & possibly prevented a disaster.

It was good to meet everyone again and a couple of new faces too - see you all at the next GTG (that I can get to!)

300SL made 180hp - exactly as per book !!
CRX made 229hp without the NOS - a bit more than stock :D

Mark

Sounds like you guys had a great time.

So gutted I could not run. As Jimmy got same results as he did at the Kettering RR, would have been good to see what mine came up with as that is where my 218BHP was measured!!!

Thanks for all your guys effort with my car in such rubbish weather anyway - specifically Jimmy, Dorian and Deiselman.

Has someone got a complete list of results???

How about Sym's results?

Sym, you also ran your'e car at Hitech, how do the figures compare? Is there much of a difference?

Don't forget that my run at Hi-Tech was before the spark plugs were changed . . . from their figure of 91kw (supposed to be 100kw) - we worked out that I was about 16bhp down on what I should have had. i.e. 122 Bhp instead of 136.

My run @ G-force Aylesbury showed 132 Bhp - and the one at PTS showed 136.7 Bhp.

S.

Originally posted by sym
Don't forget that my run at Hi-Tech was before the spark plugs were changed . . . from their figure of 91kw (supposed to be 100kw) - we worked out that I was about 16bhp down on what I should have had. i.e. 122 Bhp instead of 136.

My run @ G-force Aylesbury showed 132 Bhp - and the one at PTS showed 136.7 Bhp.

S.

Right on the nose. 100 KW = 135 Hp.

This all shows one thing. It looks like PTS's machine and technique is good. :rock:

A bit late coming back with this but here is a graph of my results. My car had a faulty MAF which I didn't know about until the "shoot out", so power and torque are down but still interesting.

See MAS thread. It's taken until Yesterday to get this finally sorted.

Note the gearbox losses are least when the engine produces the most torque.

Rolling%20Road_478_image001.gif

Again Mark thanks for the day, I could do with another run now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom