Rolls-Royce Corniche...50/50 choices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tacfoley

Car
E270CDI Avantgarde Station wagon, 380SL, ML420
I arrived at a friend's house just after mid-day today with the intention of taking him out to lunch at a local hostelry and spending the remainder of a fine afternoon playing steam trains in the backyard.

Didn't work out quite like that.

Sticking out of the back of his four car garage was a beautiful royal blue Rolls-Royce Corniche, belonging to his son, and on loan to dad to s**** at an upcoming 50th wedding anniversary. N-reg, as in ABC123N, it was in very fine fettle indeed.

'Which one shall we take for lunch? - he asked me, pointing at my 1982 nautic blue 380SL, also with the top down.

Never having been in ANY kind of a Rolls-Royce in my life, we took HIS option.

See - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kIGkF4b16Q

Strangely enough, a few hours later, getting back into my old SL, I did not feel that I was in a lesser automobile, in fact, as I drove off down his drive, I was very conscious that my old crate was actually quieter than the legendary Rolls. The grin appeared on my face, and remained there all the long way home, and was still there an hour or so later as I pulled up outside our little house, to find my grand-daughter jumping up and down for a ride for the very first time in our car without its hardtop - in fourteen years of hard-top only ownership.

Rolls-Royces are certainly very nice, indeed, in a class of their own, but I'm very aware that a major service on that beautiful machine could cost more than my SL is worth.

I'll think that I'll stick to the three-pointed star, and leave the 'ecstatic ladies' alone.

tac
EPT470X

Last edited:
Tac.

Does that Corniche ride on hydro-pneumatic suspension?

Nope, just old-style boingy things and dampers like the Spokane Street viaduct swing bridge. Remember that it weighs in at 2.6 tons/tonnes or whatever you use over here to decribe a mass of 2240 pounds per unit x 2.6.

Comfy.......

tac
EPT470X

Tac.

Does that Corniche ride on hydro-pneumatic suspension?

They used conventional springs and bits of citroen hyrdo tech IIRC

Normally the underbody rots worse (if imaginable) than some mercs.. nice to see a good one.

Last edited:
Only rode in a Roller once and that was a very costly experience. The driver dropped me off at a church , and i have been paying ever since .:D

That car would have been registered in Leicester.

The Mayors car is ABC 1.

My dad in the 60's had a Austin A55 with the registartion ABC 123 and he scrapped it .

gh3382

Here's my Corniche......as owned by Keith Moon of The Who

Genuine colour...special order with Rolls....also comes with purple carpets and headlining:D

Last edited:
Here's my Corniche......as owned by Keith Moon of The Who

Genuine colour...special order with Rolls....also comes with purple carpets and headlining:D

Recovered from the swimming pool?

I think I rode in that car once when I briefly dated his sister (his family lived behind my parents house in Wembley) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom