Rome Alone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WOODYTHEWISE

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 500 Coupe.
Just heard on the radio that an 11 year old boy has flown from Manchester to Rome without a ticket, passport, or boarding card. Makes you feel safe does it not?.

G4S are responsible for Manchester airport security. Says it all really

G4S are responsible for Manchester airport security. Says it all really

This was not a failing of security, the boy was checked by airport security as all other passengers were, the failure lies with the checking of boarding cards tallying with passports and the head count carried out by the flight crew prior to take off.

But I bet his belt was x-rayed!

It is a security failure, how did he get into the security area without a boarding card?

How can he check in without a passport?

When I tried to check in at the Easyjet desk in Athens minus my passport they would not issue me with a boarding card. Absolutely no chance whatsoever and so I had to get a temporary passport from the British Consulate.

I was told by Easyjet, B.A and Agean.....no passport....no ticket....NO FLIGHT.

I suspect the check in desk assumed he was with adults that had a valid passport.

A good test of security arrangements...!!

Conversely: Yesterday I went out for a walk round the grounds at lunch time and nearly wasn't let back in as there is a discrepancy on my two ID.

Eventually one of the LOGOC team assured the security personnel it was valid ID.

Thanks for the reminder, I must remember to have my passport on me from now on.

When I tried to check in at the Easyjet desk in Athens minus my passport they would not issue me with a boarding card. Absolutely no chance whatsoever and so I had to get a temporary passport from the British Consulate.

I was told by Easyjet, B.A and Agean.....no passport....no ticket....NO FLIGHT.

If you are ejected by the country of destination, the carrier is obliged to take you back to your port of departure at their expense.

Which is why it's in their (financial) interest to ensure that you carry the correct documentation to allow you entry at your destination (inc. current visa where this is a requirement).

Said that, my understanding is that you are allowed into the UK as long as you can demonstrate that you are the UK citizen, so 'passport' as such is not necessarily required.

Some countries that have official photo ID cards (not driving license) will accept citizens without passport as long as they carry the ID to prove they are citizens

Where this is the case, the airline should accept this document as proof of entitlement of entry to your country of destination in leu of a passport.

If you are ejected by the country of destination, the carrier is obliged to take you back to your port of departure at their expense.

Said that, my understanding is that you are allowed into the UK as long as you can demonstrate that you are the UK citizen, so 'passport' as such is not necessarily required. - Total cobblers.

Some countries that have official photo ID cards (not driving license) will accept citizens without passport as long as they carry the ID to prove they are citizens.
I had a photocopy of my stolen passport, a photocopy of my previous passport, my driving license and a police report.
The check in staff in Athens do not work for the airlines, they are all handling companies, even B.A. I don't know about the UK but this might have made a difference.

Where this is the case, the airline should accept this document as proof of entitlement of entry to your country of destination in leu of a passport.
-Again cobblers.

-Again cobblers.

Err... I actually did some years ago.... I assure you it is possible.

Years ago a friend sailed over to France for a few days, then boarded a ferry back to Blighty.
At immigration control he was asked for his passport and he said "I haven't got one" and walked through.

It was possible a few years ago but now...no way.

If you have an Italian ID card, you can get on a plane in the UK and get past immigration in Italy, without passport.

If you have an Italian ID card, you can get on a plane in the UK and get past immigration in Italy, without passport.

Or the other way round. Got plenty of Italian friends that use their ID card to get pas immigration in the UK

From the article in the Sun

"Liam, who has learning difficulties, walked about 300 metres to a bus stop. Then, feeling a need for the loo, he hopped on a No19 bus heading to the airport."

"Mary, a full-time carer for Liam, told how she was “panicking” before learning he was safe and well.
She said: “I was crying when I saw him again because I was so relieved. He is the most important thing in my life.
“He is vulnerable and very loving and kind. He doesn’t understand things like a normal 11-year-old and he would trust strangers if they were nice to him."

Last edited:
From the article in the Sun

"Liam, who has learning difficulties, walked about 300 metres to a bus stop. Then, feeling a need for the loo, he hopped on a No19 bus heading to the airport."

"Mary, a full-time carer for Liam, told how she was “panicking” before learning he was safe and well.
She said: “I was crying when I saw him again because I was so relieved. He is the most important thing in my life.
“He is vulnerable and very loving and kind. He doesn’t understand things like a normal 11-year-old and he would trust strangers if they were nice to him."

Thanks, now it makes sense... I thought as much. Somehow I missed it when I first read the article.

For EU/EEA travellers arriving at the UK border, a passport or national id card is accepted. In the UK, we don't have a national id card so AFAIK the only accepted id at the border is a passport - hence the need to get a ETD or EP if your passport is lost/stolen whilst abroad.

I can understand how this can happen. Kids are separated all over the place, and there is plenty of room for confusion at all parts of the process, especially with kids I feel.

Probably unlucky getting all the way through without being noticed.

Official ID cards are fine. Lots of european countries operate on these rather than passports. Colleague of mine got to and from Germany by air last year with a passport 1 year out of date. No one, least of all him, noticed until he got home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom