Romeo Must Die - C5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
On now, lame film, but has a Sliver C43 AMG* in a street chase
Channel 5

*A C180 Classic with a kit most likely

Photo1.jpg

Last edited:
I thought it was a real one. Do you think it is a kit?How can you tell?

Last edited:
Film companies , although they have big budgets , will try to keep costs down ...

Witness in 'Ronin' .... the supposed M5 in the chase is actually a 520 or something ( check out the exhaust :rolleyes: in a rear shot , a nice small single pipe ) .... IIRC the wheels change from alloys at low speed to caps at high speed , another indication of a change..

If you never see the engine , you can get away with it , exhaust notes can be dubbed afterwards , as can squealing tyres .... even if you see the engine chances are its from another car to the one in the chase scene , one they might have borrowed for that shot ...

Also , and i worked on this film , so can vouch for it ....

In 'Tomorrow Never Dies' , Bond has the 750iL in all the shots with the big 18 inch M wheels ....

Well , when his tyres get punctured , and they self inflate , have a close look :eek: it's a 15 inch wheel off a normal 7 series ...

( They couldn't get the low profile tyre on the 18 inch wheel , to reinflate at high speed ;) ) ... they jut hope that no one will notice .....

Why wreck a £50k car when you can wreck a £10k car ....

Yes or it could be a proper C43 without the engine and is pulled along on tracks by a trailer .that would really keep the costs down.

In ronin was it a real 406? I think it was right hand drive driven by a stuntman with deniro holding a fake LHD wheel.

Was the audi a real S8 then?

On now, lame film, but has a Sliver C43 AMG* in a street chase
Channel 5

*A C180 Classic with a kit most likely
Jet Li is a huge fan of Mercedes and I believe he insisted on having the C43 for the film.

There is no C180 classic in the USA; AFAIK they had C220, C36, after facelift C230k and C43 available in sport or elegance trim spec only ;)

Romeo Must Die is a great film!

Also, the opening credits amount to what is an extended advert for a W140 series S Class.

For those who haven't seen it an immaculate black S Class full of well dressed gangsters is driven through neon lit city streets to the accompaniment of a particularly good DMX track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmRc6t1hraw

Last edited:
In ronin was it a real 406? I think it was right hand drive driven by a stuntman with deniro holding a fake LHD wheel.

Was the audi a real S8 then?

I think the S8 was probably real , IIRc no damage occurs to it ....

The smoke off the tyres of the 450SEL 6.9 isn't though ;) when it reverses out of the parking bay ...

How have you deduced this?

I'm with Howard on this one. If you look closely then the smoke does definitely look computer generated. Also, I vaguely remember hearing it mentioned in one of the "Making of Ronin" things that may be on the DVD version I have.

Does Romeo really have to die, can he not be hurt a bit or something ?

:)

How have you deduced this?

While Ronin may well be the best chase film in modern times ...

The smoke off the tyres is the worst computer generated smoke of modern times ... i could have done better with my old BBC Micro .... :rolleyes:

It really is that bad , if you can't see it , i have a friend who works for SpecSavers , he could get you a free voucher ?

:)

It really is that bad , if you can't see it , i have a friend who works for SpecSavers , he could get you a free voucher ?
I don't have a 50-foot wide TV I have a 14" portable so some things are not as obvious ;)

Same here @ telly ;). Worked since May 1994. Wonder if I've got that tyre-fumes bit on my video best-of of the film...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom