Ron Dennis removed as McLaren CEO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
The McLaren Technology Group have released a statement confirming Ron Dennis' exit as their chief executive.

It read:

'As of this afternoon Ron Dennis no longer holds the position of Chief Executive Officer of McLaren Technology Group (or its subsidiaries). However, he remains a shareholder and a director of McLaren Technology Group.

'Over the past 35 years Ron's contribution to the success of McLaren has been colossal. During his tenure the team won 17 World Championships and 158 Grands Prix, making him the most successful leader in Formula 1 history. Like the company's founder, Bruce McLaren, Ron is and will always be one of the true greats of the sport.

'McLaren Technology Group is now in the process of seeking a new Chief Executive Officer. Until such an appointment has been made, the company will be run on an interim basis by an Executive Committee comprising the Group's majority shareholders, in close collaboration with the Board of Directors and the senior management team, all of whom remain utterly committed to the company, its partners, its employees and its fans, and share a passionate determination to build on our many strengths towards future prosperity.'

Prior to him taking over from Bernie?

Last edited:
^ Long odds on that I'd have thought.
I read somewhere ex McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh was in the frame.

Bernie has 3 years to stand down if he wants.

Last edited:
It's a shame. I know he's not the most charismatic of people but he played his part in McLarens success.

I'm sure this will rock the boat even more in an already sinking ship. God only knows what the future holds for McLaren as a whole.

Ant.

The thing is, when one of the business partners (Mansour Ojjeh) is pretty much the largest arms dealer in the middle east there's only so many times you can say no.

Ever wondered how McLaren can operate in F1 without any headline sponsorship and seemingly no money worries? Look no further than Mr Ojjeh profession.

It's a shame. I know he's not the most charismatic of people but he played his part in McLarens success.

I'm sure this will rock the boat even more in an already sinking ship. God only knows what the future holds for McLaren as a whole.

Ant.

Running an F1 team and manufacturing road cars I suspect are the chalk & cheese. On at basis maybe Ron simply is not the man long term for the job.

Naturally enough the future will be all about making money and thus concentrating on building and selling road cars (hybrids) with F1 being secondary, if it's not already? Pure assumption on my part of course.

Whatever happens I wish them a prosperous future.

What I mean is his job will be in raising sponsorship money/funding rather than any technical role. I guess with enough money you can buy/attract the necessary F1 technical talent which McLAREN apparently lack at present to produce a winning car.
A recent interview here:-
[YOUTUBE HD]l0Ol2OOaoJY[/YOUTUBE HD]

The reason for my Hmmmm Graeme was the fact that you posted the exact same story as I did. Maybe mine wasn't worthy. :D
Same story different source, sometimes another source just serves as confirmation and may add some additional info/background. No reflection on your post's originality.The purpose of my post was to draw attention to Zak Brown's possible future role at McLAREN that's all. :dk:

That'll teach him not to buy cr@ppy Honda engines I guess

Jenson has certainly changed his tune, vocally anyway.

He now says he was always going to retire at the end of the season but was not how he put it a few months back.

Shame to see him go, top man.

I'm genuinely surprised that he hasn't kept 2017 open. Long shot I know but McHonda could come good by then. As much as a dream job it seems maybe he's just wanting to concentrate on other things/interests in his life.

Ant.

I'm genuinely surprised that he hasn't kept 2017 open. Long shot I know but McHonda could come good by then. As much as a dream job it seems maybe he's just wanting to concentrate on other things/interests in his life.

Ant.

Sorry, typo, I meant 2018. :doh:

Ant.

Don't see it Ant. Wouldn't be surprised if it's another two seasons before the team is on the podium and that's if they improve every season. I've no doubt Honda will come good, I'd be very disappointed if they didn't but it's the complete package that counts, thus my guess on 2018/19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom