Roof bars for w202 or towbar for 08 c class sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

El Donkey

Car
C200 Sport 99, C320 sport 08, TVR chimaera, KTM 690
I have a 99 reg saloon, still going well but may need to change soon. However my lad is doing a lot of mountain biking so need a cheap roof carrier. Tried looking on ebay but people list roof bars/ racks / cycle carriers in so many ways its like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Any pointers as to what fits?

I also have a 08 cdi c320 sports saloon but all towbars seem to exclude the amg skirt pack? I have a ball mount cycle carrier and will have this car for a couple of years. I use this for work and do a lot of miles so only a removable tow bar would be practical.

I've some genuine w202 roof bars in the shed that I don't use.

That sounds good, they mount across ways? Id just need a cycle carrier then?

Afraid you are a long way. How much inc postage if possible cheers Rob

i have both roof bars and tow bar for my bikes (we are just talking my own bike + 2 teenage sized bikes)

downside to towbar one: you cannot access the boot as the tailgate wont lift up.

upside to towbar one: easier to lift the bikes on/off if that is a problem to you.

depends on how your back is i say. if bad back then towbar, if not then roof.

i have both roof bars and tow bar for my bikes (we are just talking my own bike + 2 teenage sized bikes)

downside to towbar one: you cannot access the boot as the tailgate wont lift up.

upside to towbar one: easier to lift the bikes on/off if that is a problem to you.

depends on how your back is i say. if bad back then towbar, if not then roof.

The towbar carrier I have works well and still gives access to boot (saloon). Problem is no towbar on our W202 and not worth fitting as will change the car in the next 12 months. Its done good service but rusting now :-(

My c320 has the amg sports skirts and all the removable bars I see say cannot be fitted to cars with sports appron.

I need to keep this car smart as used for work. Its done 40k so lots of life yet although I do rack up 30k a year so will have for about 2 years more before changing.

If I could find a place to fit a bar at reasonable cost I would use but only for the cycle rack.

Well, things change quickly! The w202 saloon suffered a front strut failure last night. As no time to mess just now I quickly dropped on a W203 estate which is now in the drive. Options for this will be much easier :)

Well, things change quickly! The w202 saloon suffered a front strut failure last night. As no time to mess just now I quickly dropped on a W203 estate which is now in the drive. Options for this will be much easier :)

That's a shame .

I skipped over the 202 and went from having a 201 to a 203 ( which I didn't get on with ) and went back to a 201 again .

Certainly a S203 will take Thule roof bars which you can get from any Halfords ( or their own branded ones which are made for them by Thule and are cheaper ) , ditto the cycle carriers .

I've had the same roof bars and cycle carriers on my W123 , W124 and 203 estates , as well as two Golf estates - they're pretty versatile - and with different roof bars/foot packs also on three W201's a W124 saloon and a W126 .

I've never used a towbar mounted cycle carrier , but I know some of the Thule ones tilt complete with bikes to allow a tailgate to be opened .

My S203 had a Brink detachable towbar which I used for my trailer and when the ball was removed you wouldn't know it was there . I recently obtained an Oris detachable towbar ( which was factory fitment ) for my 190E , from eBay.de , which can be a useful source of otherwise difficult to obtain parts for our cars .

It's also worth mentioning that W203's , including the S203 estate variants , are pretty abundant in the scrapyards nowadays , and many of them have towbars , so picking up a used one shouldn't be too hard - just remember to get the CANBUS module with the wiring ; although on these cars it may need to be coded to the car's electronic systems .

Good luck anyway with the new car .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom